Know any good historical or political fiction?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
lovefamily
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Know any good historical or political fiction?

Post by lovefamily »

Is there a period of history that your are interested in? That would help a bit.

My current favorite historical fiction author is Roberta Kagan. She specializes in Holocaust/WWII/Israeli topics. If you are looking for Civil War/Revolutionary War, then I'd go with John Jakes.

Political fiction, I'd go for Tom Clancy. I also think Jeffrey Archer's Clifton Chronicles were great.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Creating Serenity wrote:I've had Wolf Hall sitting on my bookshelves for something close to two years maybe. I didn't realize it had a sequel now as well. I am going to have to finally get to that one! I love the Tudor period as well so I will have to get to this one soon. Those TBR piles just don't go away!
If you love the Tudors then it's definitely worth a read! It's interesting because it's the only book I've read with a sympathetic view of Cromwell. The sequel covers Anne's fall. Man, I know. Those piles just get larger and larger.
maiamalanee
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... tlander</a>
Currently Reading: Green Mansions
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiamalanee.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by maiamalanee »

A Dangerous Fortune by Ken Follett and his other books are really great reads. His books take place all over Europe and span from the 17th century to the 18th century. They are pretty historically accurate. They do not have to do with royalty, but more to do with everyday people.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Two special books are Desiree by Annemarie Selinko - based on fact - the young French girl who was first engaged to Napoleon Bonaparte, then when he dumped her, married one of his marshals, Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, who was invited to become King of Sweden. The Swedish royal family descend from them. It's written in diary form and is absolutely charming. The other is Katherine by Anya Seton - the story of the commoner girl who became the mistress of John of Gaunt in medieval England (again fact). His legitimate son was Henry IV. Katherine bore him four children. In the end he married her, making her Duchess of Lancaster and they were the ancestors of the Tudor line. It's also well-written and gives a real picture of England at the time. Katherine is delightful.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I agree Phillipa Gregory is my favourite historical fiction author. She is the main reason why I love the history of English monarchy.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

The Black Shadow is a good one for political fiction. Here's my review of it: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45218
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

A Secret History of Witches is goid as it deals with the history if witches from their perspective.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Try James A. Michener or Graham Greene books.
Heatherlypre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Heatherlypre »

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr is amazing!!!!

Beneath a Scarlett Sky by Mark Sullivan is in my top 5 - I just loved this book - Pino (the main character is actually still alive and they are making a movie from the book - I follow Mark (and am lucky enough to be friends with him) on Facebook. He has pictures of him and Pino from his book tour a few months ago.

Where the Wind Leads is not historical fiction per se but it is a true story written by a man who was a refugee during the Vietnam war and his (Chinese) families journey to get out of Vietnam - very heart wrenching

Book Thief, Orphan Train, Last Train to Istanbul, Night by Elie Wiesel, and The Nightingale.

This is my first post so I hope I just didn't repeat what everyone else said :)

I am also looking for some more good historical fiction. It has become my favorite genre
kahmeyer_bg823
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kahmeyer_bg823 »

My reading consists of a lot on historical romance. My favorite author is Peggy Henderson who has an ongoing story on the beginnings of Yellowstone Park beginning with around the early 1800's until almost present day. She has also written several time-travel books on the same subject. The books are historically correct on the formation of the National Park, the Native Americans who lived there and a trilogy on the Tetons. She not only writes about it but she and her husband now live there.
Her books capture you from the very first page and are difficult to put down. I have read several that kept me up all night and couldn't wait for her next book to be published.

My other interests are beginning of the Civil War and the ramifications it caused this Country - even today! I have a Kindle Light so I am able to search titles and review a portion of the story before ordering. I have read several authors that stay politically correct on their summation of the war on both sides - North & South.

I read close to 15 plus books a month.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Sounds fascinating. I'll see if I can find Peggy Henderson. I had Yellowstone Park as my screensaver recently - so beautiful. At the moment I'm reading The Falcon of Sparta by Conn Iggulden about the Greek/Persian wars - lots of blood! I usually enjoy anything set in Roman times too, in fact, pretty much anything. A favourite was a series set in Williamsburg, Virginia following a family from the War of Independence to the Second World War by Elswyth Thane.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

The Shardlake series by CJ Samson is just the best. Historical novels set in the time of Henry VIII, the books revolve around the life of a city lawyer. They combine mystery and drama and bring this fascinating period in our history to life brilliantly.
CJHeigelmann
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by CJHeigelmann »

MY LIFE IN THE SOUTH by Jacob Stroyer. An excellent read.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Kareka88 »

One Thousand White Women; The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
The Light Between the Oceans by ML Stedman
The Midwife's Revolt by Jodi Daynard
My Name is Resolute by Nancy E Turner

These are some of the best Historical Fiction novels I've read recently.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

The Devil Take Tomorrow by Jean Gretchen. It unearths the history of the Americas Fight for independence.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”