Similar to Agatha Christie? Been looking for YEARS

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Bad Macaw
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bad-macaw.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Similar to Agatha Christie? Been looking for YEARS

Post by Bad Macaw »

Hello!

I'm new here, and I thought maybe you could help me.
I have been looking for YEARS for books that are similar to Agatha Christie's...

I've read so many recommendations, but everything I've tried has been somewhat disappointing. I've accepted the fact that no author is like her, but I'm looking for a series that would at least have the same feel...

I've tried Dorothy L. Sayers and Ngaio Marsh, Anne Perry, and I liked them, but didn't LOVE them.
Obvioulsly, I've read all of Sherlock Holmes, but Agatha Christie is still my favorite.
The one series I LOVED was Amelia Peabody, by Elizabeth Peters, but I've been through all of them already. Iss Fisher was OK, but I actually prefer the TV series to the books.

Sometimes I search for "Cozy mysteries", but I always end up with some sickening sweet book about some woman who owns a bakery or a tea shop or a doughnut shop and solves mysteries in her spare time.
That is not what I mean by cozy.
I want stories to read rolled up in a blanket when there's a storm outside.

I'm looking for stories that:
-are set in England, Nova Scotia, a creepy old house, an island...
-are set in the begging of the 20th century (so no technology please)
-NOT the new Poirot books by Sophie Hannah (I tried the first and hated it. that is NOT Poirot)

Can anybody help?
Thank you!
:tiphat:
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Gosh, that's very specific. The only author I can even think of who writes CLOSE to that is Daphne Du Maurier.
advicesbooks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by advicesbooks »

Nowadays, there are many authors who write great mystery novels like Agatha Christie. I suggest you The Last Train, by Michael Pronko. This is an excellent mystery novel I just finished reading.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris

Post by Storygamer88 »

You have hard criteria and it's not perfect but The Westing Game is a Newberry winners that is similar in many aspects to And Then There Were None. I liked it more personally actually.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
L C Gatica
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-c-gatica.html
Latest Review: "The Maverick's Roundup" by Gwenneth Leane
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by L C Gatica »

I remember reading The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King years ago and enjoying the new novel involving Sherlock Holmes. The book is set in early 20th century England. The series now has 14 books. And The Beekeeper's Apprentice received the Agatha Award for Best Novel in 1994. That might be another place to check for similar books--the list of Agatha Award winners.
Latest Review: "The Maverick's Roundup" by Gwenneth Leane
MissMarple
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MissMarple »

Have you tried Patricia Wentworth, Margery Allingham or Ellis Peters?
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Have you tried Patricia Wentworth, Margery Allingham or Ellis Peters?
I was going to suggest Margery Allingham, whose books would meet all your criteria. I'd recommend "The Tiger in the Smoke", which I read and reread because it was so fascinating. Ruth Rendell is quite similar to Christie with her plots and situations - she's late 20th century, but her earlier books are set in the 1960s and 1970s. Oh and there's also P.D. James, who also meets all your criteria apart from being late 20th century, but like Rendell's, some of her books are pre-information age. Good luck!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”