Good Horror Books?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
ninachatterjee
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninachatterjee.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

M.R.James' Collected Ghost Stories

Post by ninachatterjee »

This a wonderful collection of ghost stories. The creepy aspect of each story is told in a writing style that mimics an atmosphere of the classic olden days, with a touch of foreign inspirits in the right places. Number 13, The Mezzotint are a few that do get under your skin. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys ghost stories and looks for that little chill in the middle of it to haunt you.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

If you're up for reading manga, I would definitely recommend something by Junji Ito. He's a master of horror that any horror fan should know. Spiral/Uzumaki is that great balance of strange and creepy. Also Monster by Naoki Urasawa is an amazing serial killer story that just blows me away.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
shalako
Currently Reading: Enter, night
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalako.html

Post by shalako »

I got a Junji Ito collection for a friend last year but for some reason I've never got around to reading him myself. Definitely gotta check him out. As for the MR James collection, I LOVE ghost story collections! Gotta put it on the list
Goddess of Gab
Currently Reading: Help for the Haunted
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goddess-of-gab.html

Post by Goddess of Gab »

I'm reading Help for the Haunted by John Searles right now.
Its more on the spooky side of the spectrum and is about the orphaned daughters of mediums, to put it shortly. As you read you learn more about the parents' deaths and what spooks they left locked in the basement. Its slow for a bit after the initial shortened explanation of what happened, but it picks back up and is so far a good read.
sohollywood07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 431
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohollywood07.html
Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by sohollywood07 »

Endurance by Jack Kilborn is very gruesome and terrifying...I still shudder when I think about it!
Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin
BellaReyna
Currently Reading: Warm Bodies
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by BellaReyna »

Civil 8 wrote:Hi Guys, I'm new to all this, in fact just registered myself....
Oooh, talking about horror books, I just can't recall when I last read one....I use to enjoy books by the author Dean Koonz (not certain if I got his name spelled right!). He just some how manage to capture your imagination and getting you into his plot..... I tried picking up one of his newer writes, but just couldn't get into it. Maybe he has changed his style of writing or is it me, who has just stop wanting to be spooked in my mind.....

Funny you mention Dean Koontz, he was just the author I was trying to remember! I had read one of his books when I was younger that I bought for 25 cents at a yard sale and I have tried to look it up, but for the life of me I cannot remember the title. Something about A mother figure (maybe an Aunt?) and a little girl, I believe and they are in some mysterious town and a giant blob type thing is eating the towns people...I just don't know. I do know at the time I couldn't put it down as silly as it sounds talking about now!
new orleans chic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-new-orleans-chic.html

Post by new orleans chic »

The author I am adoring right now is Christopher Buehlman. The book that drew me to his attention is The Necromancer's House. I can't say enough good things about it. I am now working my way through his other books. The genre he writes in is horror, but his style has alot of dark humor to it. He is filled with creativity and can definitely tell an original story that will , at times give you the most chilling if creeps. The Necromancer's House is one of my favorite books that I have read recently. I'm planning on reading it again soon, which I hardly ever do...but I know I will appreciate it more a second time around. Alot of people preferred his quirky vampire novel The Lesser Dead, but although I enjoyed that one, it didn't compare to The Necromancer's House.
RaeRae81
Currently Reading: Days Gone Bye
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raerae81.html

Post by RaeRae81 »

My favorite horror story that I've read so far is Misery by Stephen King.
Retro61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-retro61.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Retro61 »

I have only read a few horror stories. Most were by James Herbert. The Rats was the first. Of course, I did The Lair and Domain afterwards. I have also read The Fog and The Magic Cottage. I thought they were all good page turners and very gripping. I would class A Picture of Dorian Grey as a kind of Gothic horror story. I enjoyed and, to a degree, was revolted by this fabulous novel. I know there are probably some that are much gorier or frightening. I have just not gone to any of these realms via a book. I would say I'm a person that watches horror on screen rather than read on such things. A bit odd really because I usually enjoy the book above the movie presentation. :?
Ella1995
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ella1995.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Ella1995 »

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King is incredibly good! That's my favorite horror book of all time! I would also recommend Under the Dome by Stephen King
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Sabriel
Currently Reading: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sabriel »

Hey :) I too love god horror books so this is what I recommend. Edith Nesbit: From Death (short stories collection), James Herbert: Family breakfast, Nancy A. Collins: Aphra, Richard Sutphen: Fat Lady rapists... These are all short stories but all of the authors write horror so you can check them out :)
shalako

Post by shalako »

Wow I've never heard of any of those authors ... perfect! I'll have to read one of them next
WordsofaKind
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordsofakind.html

Post by WordsofaKind »

Though perhaps not strictly horror, "Alice" by Christina Hendry is a fantastic read. It had my stomach turning most of the way through but it's also got such tender moments you can't help yourself! The way Hendry brings the characters to life is brilliant, with their flaws and imperfections, you really do fall in love with them...
athomas0925
Currently Reading:

Post by athomas0925 »

Not entirely sure that Robin Cook falls under the realm of horror, however, a lot of his books are a "what if" in the medical field and can be scary in their own right. My absolute favorite of his books (which of course I can't recall the name) concerned the Salem witch trials. And more or less, without giving it all away, it was explained that the trials may have been started by a hallucinogen causing mold. The book really kept my attention, which is hard to do since I decide rather quickly if I like an author or not. I've read a few others of his books, and really enjoy the fact that he thinks of different 'what ifs' in the medical field, and not everything is as it seems.
shalako

Post by shalako »

That sounds right up my alley, I have to check it out

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”