Japanese Folklore

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
scnunnery
Bookshelf Size: 0

Japanese Folklore

Post by scnunnery »

I love horror and folklore. I've read some Japanese folklore online, but I'm searching for a collection (tired of only finding pieces). Any help is much appreciated.
Blue-siren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-siren.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Blue-siren »

There is actually a lot of folklore from Japan that is really interesting but just remember that folklore and urban legends will come up. For me the two tend to be different.

Many places that has some folklore, though I'm not sure if you seen this or not and personality I like The Red String of Fate folklore that is a pretty common one in Asian culture. Another thing that you can try is looking at Japanese mythology, as it could help lead you to some stories and understanding of why things are.

Looking up Ancient Tales and Folk-lore of Japan by Richard Gordon Smith should lead you to a large collection of what you might be looking for.

-- 15 Nov 2016, 04:54 --

Though if you're looking for anything that has to do with horror, just look up urban legends on youtube or now a search engine and it should also bring you to some of the common, and uncommon, ones.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I am not sure of any books or collections right off the bat, but if you like horror, anything associated with Japanese yokai (demons, spirits) might be your thing. I love horror, too, and I sometime use Japanese elements in my short stories. On Amazon, google any books associated with "yokai." A bunch of tomes will usually come up.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”