Looking for great books by female authors

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Re: Looking for great books by female authors

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Barbara Kingsolver, Yaa Gyasi, Gillian Flynn
jdy
Currently Reading: We Make God Cry
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by jdy »

I really enjoy several female writers. I do find that most female writers that I see are romance writers, although a few do write in different genre. Some of my favorites are Danielle Steele, Jodi Picoult, V.C. Andrews, Wanda Brunstetler, Francine Rivers, and Karen Kingsbury.
Raglitmag
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Raglitmag »

Check out Tanya Thompson. Assuming Names.
fearstreetlover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by fearstreetlover »

Nancy drew is a very popular book series Agatha Christie , harper lee , and Gretchen McNeil is popular right now . :D :) :ugeek2:
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I love the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, if you haven’t read it you should check it out. It’s of the fantasy genre but it’s creative & unique. It follows Mercedes (Mercy) Thompson a strong female character who is a Native American Volkswagen mechanic.
Spoiler:
She has the ability to change into a coyote because her father is the Coyote or Old man from Native American legends. Her former boss is a fairy, she fixes cars for the vampires & lives behind the house of werewolves who she likes to annoy. The series is different but has love, unique story line, hilarious and has depth to the characters which makes it a great read.
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

If you are looking for something that is a little cliche, but overall heartwarming, I suggest looking into Sarah Dessen's books. I read them as a teenager and they are still some of my favorites. I suggest "Just Listen" or "Lock and Key" as good places to start. Some of them really cover some difficult topics, but they all have feel-good endings and make you feel like you journeyed with the characters.
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

I absolutely LOVE the book The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which is by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows.

I know that this is a movie now, so it might be gaining a bit of popularity from that, but I have read and loved this book many times during many different times of life.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I have a hard time remembering certain titles of books I've read. I'll just mention the authors names off the top of my head... I hope that's okay. For YA fantasy my favorites are Jodi Meadows, Elizabeth May, Sherry Thomas, Julie Kagawa, Samantha Shannon and Alex Lidell. YA contemporary, Kasie West, Emma Mills, Jessi Kirby, Morgan Matson, Jenny Jones, Marni Bates. If you like YA that deals with a bit more complex plot I think you'd like, Ally Carter, Julie Cross, and Jennifer Barnes.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

For YA contemporary I love Emma Mills. Her writing is always so endearing and fun and relaxing! If you prefer YA fantasy, I highly recommend books by Elizabeth May, Jodi Meadows and Julie Kagawa. Right now my absolute favorite book is a little mermaid YA retelling, To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

Margaret Atwood, without a doubt!
She's a great writer with interesting plot ideas and an engaging voice.
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

Daisy Goodwin is a new favorite female author of mine. She wrote American Heiress and Fortune Hunter. The books have characters that are deliciously flawed, so you almost hate them, even tho they are the protagonist!

I also second Sarah Waters. I read Fingersmith for a class and it was fantastic.
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Rangerkay »

Okay. I have a list so bare with me. And I may come back later to post even more suggestions after getting lost in my book shelf.

Anne McCaffrey - Scifi/Fantasy writer in 80's, 90's. Her Dragon Riders of Pern series is what she is most well-known for, but I found her Crystal Singer Series to be my personal favorite.

Tamora Pierce - Fantasy writer 90's to present. For a strong female character you might find the Song of the Lioness Series enjoyable. For a softer female character look to the Immortal Series, first book is Wild Magic.

Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice was my favorite that she wrote. I found Elizabeth to break the mold of female characters that were written in that time period.

Rae Carson - To Walk on Earth a Stranger. Historical Fiction? Very nice.

Amanda Cabot - Romance. Her characters are very intricate and her romances aren't cliche or what you expect.

Janette Oke - Romance. Her Love Comes Softly book had me falling in love with her writing style.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Gone with the wind by Margaret Mitchell is my favorite book. I recommend it as a must read for every reader. However, my favorite author is Jane Austen and I think she is the best female writer ever.
nataliemastin1
Currently Reading: Stamped from the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nataliemastin1.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by nataliemastin1 »

Women writers are the best! The past couple of years I have been reading women writers exclusively (except for the Larry McMurtry my dad is always recommending) and have really enjoyed it. Anne Carson is one of my favorite ladies writing today. Her poetry, essays, and translations are excellent. I especially love Autobiography of Red, a novel written in poem form, that is a retelling of ancient Greek myth. Rachel Cusk's Outline trilogy is sharp, lucid, and an interesting new form of telling stories. The Neapolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante, despite their terrible covers, are completely worth the hype. (The first book in the quartet has been made into a series by HBO.) The writing is interior, electric, and completely addictive. Celeste Ng is another contemporary writer who excels at making life occurrences into thrilling, literary stories, her Little Fires Everywhere being my favorite. Some women writers from the past I enjoy are Shirley Jackson (odd, creepy stories), Jean Rhys (novels set in the Caribbean) and Willa Cather (novels about tough women).
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

I'm also studying Creative Writing in college! If you're really looking for deep, well-developed characters and unique plots, then I would suggest Elizabeth Peters (she has several pseudonyms). So far, I've read about half of the Amelia Peabody series and I absolutely love it. Her other books are just as popular.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”