Books for my 10 year old granddaughter?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Book_Wyrm
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-wyrm.html

Re: Books for my 10 year old granddaughter?

Post by Book_Wyrm »

Ella1995 wrote:At that age I was super into the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling if you haven't considered that already. It can be a bit violent at times but most people seem okay with that. It's, of course, very well written and full of magic!
Absolutely this! The violence is not graphic, by the way, and the series looks at issues like being different, sticking to your principles even if you feel like you're standing alone, the strength of friendship, and so on.

Another series that's similar is the Young Wizards series, by Diane Duane (first title is So You Want to be a Wizard). There are 11 books in the series, and it's a curious blend of wizardry and science fiction.

Also there's the Cronus Chronicles, by Anne Ursu. First novel in the series is The Shadow Thieves, and it's about Charlotte and her cousin (nicknamed Zee) who battle harpies, Greek gods and a really evil guy (name of Phil) to save the world -- by saving the underworld.

People keep asking me why I don't read 'adult' books. It's probably because the Young Adult stuff seems to be so much better. :)
JessChristine
Currently Reading: Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesschristine.html
Reading Device: B0155OD1ME

Post by JessChristine »

Hmm, I guess it depends on what she's into/her maturity level. Some of these have been previously mentioned, and they really are amazing (+ everyone who mentioned them seems to have great taste :D)

Series:
From The Files of Madison Finn by Laura Dower (** If you're looking for something that's age-appropriate, but deals with friendship, family, crushes, etc. these are a great contemporary read. They've been updated for today's audience so the slang won't feel so "old").
Harry Potter by JK Rowling
Children Of The Red King by Jenny Nimo (starts with Midnight for Charlie Bone)
Warriors by Erin Hunter
Redwall by Brian Jaques
A Series Of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Island by Gordon Korman
Dive by Gordon Korman

Graphic Novels (* all ages):
Alabaster Shadows by Matt Gardner and Ryan Ferrier (it's marketed as horror, but honestly, it's more fantasy + the colours are really bright! Not at all scary)
Archie by Mark Waid and Fiona Staples (much like FTFOM, Archie deals with friendship and crushes, but in such a way that younger audience members aren't exposed to anything unsavoury To that end I would avoid Adam Hughes' Betty and Veronica run. It's not written like a book meant for all ages and seems to toe the line, though not in a good way).
Jem and the Holograms by Kelly Thompson and Sophie Campbell
Space Dumplins by Craig Thompson

Standalones:
Liesel and Po by Lauren Oliver
Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi
Bloomability by Sharon Creech
If she watches TV, there might be books attached to the series :).

Hope that helps :).

ETA: I forgot two series and a standalone! Woops.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

When I was that age, I loved Wendy Mass books. A lot of her books include magic and modernized fairy tales. I think the Harry Potter series would be great too, as other people suggested. I really liked Beverly Cleary, as well. It's great that you're getting your grand-daughter to read!
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
EugeniuszMosz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by EugeniuszMosz »

Everything you want to know about horses - For horse.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I say you also find books based on her interests. Did she like the movie, "Frozen?" There are tons of Frozen chapter books. What movies or shows do she like? You can usually always find chapter books based on that. Does she like pets and animals? There are lots of books that depict an animal as a main character. If you know what she likes, it will be super easy to go to a bookstore and pick out titles based on her interests.

I also agree with the person who said to go to the bookstore with her. Let her pick out books and pay attention to what she picks. That way, in the future, you can shop for her by yourself because you have a clear idea of what she likes to read.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
3c_robles
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 3c_robles »

If she likes graphic novels, anything by Raina Telgemeier would be good. Also, Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol is pretty dope, although that might be getting a little too mature for her. (The main character is a teen smoker, and she hides it from her mom.) I just read The One and Only Ivan, which won the Newberry, and is a novel about a talking gorilla that made me cry.
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

Just bloom books. Box car children, American girl series. My step son is also 10 and not an advanced reader so I get the minecraft books for him, like diary of Steve.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Well at her age one of my favorite series was the Fairy Realm series by Emily Rodda and Lucy Bell. It is a fun series with a charming story line that I just fell in love with.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Tomiwa
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tomiwa »

you can just ask her what she wants,or study your granddaughter very closely,and you will discover what she really likes even from watching her play by herself.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

When I was that age, I read Harry Potter, The Hobbit, The Little Princess, and Laura Ingalls Wilder. If she likes animals, there was a popular series about a girl rescuing pets and animals, but I can't recall the name. The titles were all alliterations, if that helps. I think some series that don't get enough attention, though, are Tamora Pierce's Tortall universe books and the Royal Diaries series written by various authors published by Scholastic Press. They're still innocent and appropriate for a young audience, but more mature than other children's books. To be honest, I still enjoy Tamora Pierce and I'm in my 20's now.
Vie Estrada
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Vie Estrada »

Since you mentioned that kids nowadays mature earlier, I suggest that you let her read Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince. It's a really good book. I read it when I was in college and every page gave me a lot of feels. It doesn't sound so mature and childish. It's just right but it can leave a lasting impression on you. I hope this helps! :D
WordHound
Currently Reading: The Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordhound.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WordHound »

The Immortal series by Tamora Pierce is about a girl who can communicate with animals and should be about the right reading level for a fifth grader.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
fidelarmus
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by fidelarmus »

Jennyluvsbooks33 wrote:I'm looking for suggestions for a couple books for my ten year old granddaughter. She's at a age where her interests are changing and it's not as easy as it used to be to pick things out. She is in the fifth grade. I'm not sure what is age appropriate? I know at her age I would read things like Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Island of the Blue Dolphins. Would those seem dated to her? Kids seem so quick to mature these days. I know there is talk about crushes and clothes and such among her peers. I guess I'm looking for something not too young but definitely not to mature. She's a advanced reader, loves to read, loves animals, likes clothes, art, crafts...does that help? Lol. Anyone out there have a 10 year old? What do they like to read? Thanks ahead for any help!
Have her see the inceptive cinematic renditions per each culturally renowned book entry. Then let the budding youthful pick which books she'd best read from there. Christian thematic options include The Robe, Quo Vadis, Silver Chalice, Ben-Hur. Lastly, Power of One has Jewish themes; yet lugs up an uplifting message. Let me know when this helps and if any were of a better choice than the rest.
Alhen James
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6028">The Darkest Hour</a>
Currently Reading: Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 136

Post by Alhen James »

My kids love these books - A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, Life of Pi by Yann Martel, David Baldacci's Freddy and the French Fries, and Rick Riordan's The 39 Clues.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

the babysitters club
the harry potter series
the chronicles of Narnia series and
anne of green gable

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”