Books for my 10 year old granddaughter?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
NotNina
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books for my 10 year old granddaughter?

Post by NotNina »

I recommend Sweet Valley Twins by Francine Pascal. That is what I read at her age and there are so many books in the series. When she gets older she can move on to Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley University.
Tamanna
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamanna.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Tamanna »

The Harry Potter series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and books by authors like Cathy Cassidy and Jaqueline Wilson.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Harry Potter is always a fan favorite, as Ella1985 said. I loved the American Girl books but those may be a little dated. I found a great list here.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

If you go back a bit there is the Swallows and Amazons series (7 books) by Arthur Ransome - children, sailing, outdoor adventures in the UK lake district. I loved them and they made my brother a sailor. Diana Wynne Jones's Chrestomanci series, parallel worlds, lots of cool magic. Little Women? Animals - my kid loved Jack London's White Fang at that age. The Princess Diaries? Ballet Shoes etc by Noel Streatfield if she's into that? Rick Riordan. Rosemary Sutcliff - Eagle of the Ninth etc, set in Roman times, also medieval. Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men series.
NSOfficial
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nsofficial.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by NSOfficial »

I would recommend getting her Black Beauty, Heidi, Oliver Twist, books by Roald Dahl like "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and books by Enid Blyton like "The Wishing Chair". Anne of Green Gables, Little Women and The Secret Garden are also great books for you to share with your granddaughter :)
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

The Babysitters Club is an amazing series. That and the Nancy Drew series were my favorites!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
MrsK2016

Post by MrsK2016 »

The Witch and Wizard series
MrsK2016

Post by MrsK2016 »

Maybe the box car children
bob12176

Post by bob12176 »

I'd highly recommend the kissed by an angel series by Elizabeth Chandler. It has both love and mystery in it and is great for preteens who are advanced readers, Or the time traveler mysteries by Kathryn Reiss. Also any of the Sarah dessen books. My personal favorite is one called just listen. Makes me think of how preteens and teenagers are.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I read Tales of A Blue Dolphin when I was her age and I enjoyed it, I think its a classic for that age group and probably is a good choice. I'd also recommend The Nancy Drew series as well.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Anything by Roald Dahl
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Erin Hunter has some amazing series on cats who live in clans in the forest. It's called Warriors. I enjoyed it a lot. I am sure she will love them. It's nice light reading.
KatiesReading
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by KatiesReading »

Any book from Cathy Cassidy would probably be a hit, there's a few to choose from, depending if she is more of a tomboy or not, and what she likes
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

"The Indian in the Cupboard" by Lynne Reid Banks was something that I was reading at about that age. If she likes that, they made some sequels including "The Return of the Indian", "The Secret of the Indian", "The Mystery of the Cupboard" and "The Key to the Indian".

Other favorites of mine were "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls and "Charlotte's Web" by E. B. White.

What the member recommended below is a great idea as well. This way, she gets to pick out what she wants to read and you learn more about her tastes in the process.

CatInTheHat wrote: 31 Oct 2016, 12:35 Do you live near her? Maybe a trip to a bookstore would be fun. Just watch what she gravitates to, and ask her what interests her about the things she picks up. That might give you ideas for a while. It might be fun to buy two copies of something she picks that day so that you can both read it and then talk about it later.
Anna1512
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna1512.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Anna1512 »

When I was about 10 years old I've read all Jacqueline Wilson books. The main characters are always young girls. They treat a lot of difficult themes (from the first crush and friendship to more serious theme like abandoned children and eating disorders) with care and irony. I think that every young girl should read those book, they really help in such a difficult growing period!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”