What's a great fantasy book to read?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Re: What's a great fantasy book to read?

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

My favorite fantasy author is Anne Elizabeth Stengl. I suggest you start with "Starflower" or her newest book and start of a new series, "A Branch of Silver and a Branch of Gold". It's a unique take on the Dancing Princesses Fairytale (sorry the name escapes me) Her world building is awesome!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Tami216-
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tami216.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Tami216- »

I found this book called Uprooted, by Naomi Novik, a while ago. I loved it so much I couldn't believe I'd never heard of it before! I only found it because I was wandering around the bookshop. It's a beautifully woven fantasy story about a young women whose life changes after she is chosen to live with a man known as "the dragon". I usually lean towards books with much more adventure and excitement, but I really enjoyed this book because of the writing style and wonderful world building.
Also the seven realms series by Cinda William Chima. It's set in a world where there are wizards and people with different powers but it's written very originally despite the cliche background. The world building and characters are also great in these books.
pharkey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pharkey.html

Post by pharkey »

I'm sure this has crossed everybody's mind, but The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are such great fantasy/adventure books.
annieeb
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieeb.html

Post by annieeb »

I absolutely love Fallen by Lauren Kate. There are four books in the series, all equally amazing. Fallen is about Fallen Angels and girl, Nora, who gets roped into their world. I would give the book, plot, writing, and characters a 4 out of 4.
Damy13
Currently Reading: Yes please!
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damy13.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Damy13 »

All of the Harry Potter books are a very good place to start. I cannot recommend them enough. They are equally enjoyable at every age. Start with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, the first book in the series.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Douwe
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-douwe.html

Post by Douwe »

I recommend you read "Inheritance Cycle" "A world without heroes" "Percy jackson" "Heroes Of Olympus"
These are all great books that i think you might like!
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I have not read this one but based on what everyone is saying, you could give Roan a try.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
JCatSmit16

Post by JCatSmit16 »

If you're up for a mind-bending fantasy ride, Neil Gaiman's novel American Gods is a great one. Really you can't go wrong with anything by Gaiman.

I also recently fell in love with A Natural History of Dragons, by Marie Brennan. I believe it's a 5 book series, and it blends Victorian society, a strong female lead, and science... plus dragons! I've never seen a combination quite like it. Highly recommend this series.
22kcox
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-22kcox.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by 22kcox »

If you like YA fantasy books that you should read Frostfire by Amanda Hocking. It's the first in a trilogy. She has written many YA Fantasies. I have enjoyed the ones I have read.
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
jessejaiden94
Currently Reading: shiva and dionysus
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessejaiden94.html

Post by jessejaiden94 »

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind.
Terry writes fluidly and poetically while simultaneously touching on several human truths.
He takes us through his version of the hero's journey in a stunning and, many times, quite unexpected way.
A fabulous read for anyone, in my humble opinion.
Vantrix
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Vantrix »

Brandon Sanderson is very good at creating believable worlds and systems of magic, "The Way of Kings" is very long and can be pretty cumbersome if you're not used to extremely long epic length novels, but it is definitely worth reading. Also he plans for it to be a ten book series and so far only the first two have been made so there will be plenty to read for years to come.
Ellen_

Post by Ellen_ »

I recently read The Witch Hunter and The King Slayer, both by Virginia Boeker. They are fantasy, young adult. I loved them and enjoyed them a lot
royvanmiral
Currently Reading: The Black Order
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by royvanmiral »

The "Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan is the best fantasy series I've ever read. It's massive though. Around 2 million words over 14 books.
Jmlafary

Post by Jmlafary »

I personally love the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. It's really a good series took me only a couple days to finish 3 out of the series I couldn't put them down!!!
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

Spiderwick's Chronicles by Holly Black is cool. It used to be my most favorite movie. The illustrations in the book are also great

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”