Fairy Tales, Beauty and the Beast, and Biographies

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Thebooknerd24
Bookshelf Size: 14

Fairy Tales, Beauty and the Beast, and Biographies

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

So I absolutely love reading Fairy Tales and fairy tale re-tellings. I also love anything that is a retelling of "Beauty and the Beast." If you know of any good books let me know! I also enjoy interesting biographies.
Nicole365
Currently Reading: Stolen Voices
Bookshelf Size: 308

Post by Nicole365 »

Hi you should check out Jenni James her books are amazing!! She rewrites fairy tales, and they are amazing!! I read them and couldn't put them down! You would probably like them!!
Thebooknerd24

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

Thanks Nicole! I actually have them on my to read list on good reads. I haven't read any of them yet but I'm hoping to soon! I tried looking around for them at my local library but it's pretty small and they didn't have any of her books shelved.
Cassidy_Jean
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cassidy_Jean »

"The Selection Series" by Kiera Cass is like "The Hunger Games" and a fairy tale wrapped into one.
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Novelbound »

I love fairy tale retellings too. I recently read a novella that is a retelling of Cinderella but with a twist, it is called Sinful Cinderella by Anita Valle. It was pretty fun. A couple novels that I thought were good were Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale (based on a Grimm fairy tale) and Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson (historical fiction based on the Bluebeard fairy tale).
Have you read The Wrath & The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh ( based on A Thousand and One Nights)? I haven't read it yet, but people are going crazy for it.
Thebooknerd24

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

Thank you for all the suggestions I am going to look them up and probably add all of them to my to read list! If anyone thinks of anymore though keep the suggestions coming I don't mind having a long to read list!
sullwyn39
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by sullwyn39 »

Have you heard of the Insanity series by Cameron Jace? It's based on Alice in Wonderland - and I know he has tons of other series based on the Grimm works.. I love the covers of these books.. I know you can get them on Amazon - I ordered paperbacks of the insanity series cus I loved the covers so much.. But they're available for ebook as well.
weeh84
Currently Reading: Paradise Lost
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-weeh84.html
Latest Review: "Crumbling Walls" by Laura Strandt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by weeh84 »

Ooo have you heard of The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer? She retells old fairytales in the most modern way, and I love it. Cinder is my favorite (Cinderella as a cyborg). Right now, I believe there are four in the series, and she retells Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White, and Rapunzel. Give it a try!

Another retelling that has 2 characters join forces are Mina Holmes (niece of Sherlock Holmes) and Evaline Stoker (Brahm Stoker's sister) in a steam punk style narrative. Currently, there are 3 books in the series, The Clockwork Scarab, The Spirit Glass Charade, and the newest is The Chess Queen Enigma, by Colleen Gleason. It has become my favorite book series.

If you try them, let me know what you think!
Latest Review: "Crumbling Walls" by Laura Strandt
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by braver »

Second recommendation for the Lunar Chronicles. Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter are loose retellings of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White, respectively. There is a 5th book that is a prequel called Fairest: Levana's Story (the Evil Queen) which is also so good!
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Thebooknerd24

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

braver wrote:Second recommendation for the Lunar Chronicles. Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter are loose retellings of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White, respectively. There is a 5th book that is a prequel called Fairest: Levana's Story (the Evil Queen) which is also so good!
Yes, I have read and or listened to all of these books and they were very good! I just need to read "Stars Above" It's such a unique series I love it!

-- 01 Aug 2016, 21:36 --
weeh84 wrote:Ooo have you heard of The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer? She retells old fairytales in the most modern way, and I love it. Cinder is my favorite (Cinderella as a cyborg). Right now, I believe there are four in the series, and she retells Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White, and Rapunzel. Give it a try!

Another retelling that has 2 characters join forces are Mina Holmes (niece of Sherlock Holmes) and Evaline Stoker (Brahm Stoker's sister) in a steam punk style narrative. Currently, there are 3 books in the series, The Clockwork Scarab, The Spirit Glass Charade, and the newest is The Chess Queen Enigma, by Colleen Gleason. It has become my favorite book series.

If you try them, let me know what you think!
Yeah I've read the Lunar Chronicles! Super Good! The second and third series you've mentioned I have never heard of before but I definitely want to look them up and probably give them a try! Thanks for the suggestion I appreciate it!
BookSavvy90
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksavvy90.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by BookSavvy90 »

You should check out Once by Cameron Dokey. It's a retelling of three stories: Cinderella, Rapunzel, and Mulan. It is freaking fantastic and I ended up loving it more than I thought I would. It takes elements from the originals and makes it so the story is new all over again which considering I've read and scene many renditions of Cinerella was very refreshing. Don't even get me started on Dokey's version of Mulan. I didn't think anything could beat the Disney movie but I was wrong, good god was I wrong. Anyway I hope you enjoy your stories. :)
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

The Lunar Chronicles has already been mentioned, but I really do recommend that!
I also loved Dorothy Must Die - it's kind of a retelling of Wizard of Oz. There's also The Wrath and the Dawn, which is a play on One Thousand and One Nights.

If you like darker stories, there's also Alice by Christina Henry!
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I could recommend a couple of historical biographies. It would be 'Marie Stuart' by S. Zweig and l
'Memoirs of Hadrian' by Marguerite Yourcenar.
alixcortez
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alixcortez.html

Post by alixcortez »

One of my favorites is Beauty by Robin McKinley, which is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I love how the Belle character is so fully developed in this version.

I've also love Ella Enchanted from the time I discovered it as a child and I still revisit it periodically as an adult. It provides a different take on Cinderalla that is whimsical, imaginative, and creatively written. There is also a very well done audio book version.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

You should try Beastkeeper by Cat Hellisen. It is a modern re-imagining of Beauty and the Beast. The book is aimed at 'middlegrade' readers but it transcends age limitations. She writes the most magical, lyrical prose. She is also the author of When the Sea is Rising Red and its sequel, The House of Sand and Secrets.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”