Fairy Tales, Beauty and the Beast, and Biographies

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
booksandbabble
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandbabble.html

Re: Fairy Tales, Beauty and the Beast, and Biographies

Post by booksandbabble »

I've just started 'Uprooted' by Naomi Novik, and that is giving me definite Deauty and the Beast vibes. Also, don't forget the A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas, they're supposed to be really good. I haven't actually read them, but they're definitely on my list!

Also, if you're into something a little darker, you could always try 'The Bloody Chamber' and other short stories by Angela Carter.

Finally, I've heard Cruel Beauty is a really good Beauty and the Beast one. That's not one I've read either though
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I don't know what type of biographies you like ( type of people: musicians, actors, etc). But I prefer musical and any biographies about the Kennedy family. I strongly recommend Boys in Trees by Carly Simon, and Mrs kennedy and I by Clint Hill. Both are amazing books.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

Ooh, if you're looking for darker retellings of fairy tales/fables then try The Child Thief by Brom, a retelling of the story of Peter Pan and the Lost Boys. Creepy but good.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
viridien
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by viridien »

Rosamund Hodge's Cruel Beauty is definitely a Beauty and the Beast retelling. If you enjoy it, you should check out some of her other books too.

Marissa Meyer's The Lunar Chronicles blends Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White all into one lovely series.
Thebooknerd24
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

I know it's been a long time since I've been on any of the forums but finally getting back on and seeing more suggestions has gotten me really excited! Thank you all so much! Of course never stop making suggestions haha!
winsky1989
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: Pride, Prejudice and Push-Up-Bras
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reading Device: B00YD542NO

Post by winsky1989 »

:lol: I loved Beauty when I read it in middle school. Wow, that was a long time ago. I think a reread might be in order.
alixcortez wrote:One of my favorites is Beauty by Robin McKinley, which is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I love how the Belle character is so fully developed in this version.

I've also love Ella Enchanted from the time I discovered it as a child and I still revisit it periodically as an adult. It provides a different take on Cinderalla that is whimsical, imaginative, and creatively written. There is also a very well done audio book version.
ameredith22
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ameredith22.html
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by ameredith22 »

I was just looking for a new fairy tale or mythology retelling to read myself!
Have you read Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, she also has a few others nut I haven't read them yet. Another slightly different one is Ironskin by Tina Connolly which is a retelling of Jane Eyre.
EdenLove
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edenlove.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by EdenLove »

I have read the Unfortunate Fairytale series by Chanda Hahn is really good. It involves many fairytales twisted together.
annieeb
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annieeb.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by annieeb »

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale is actually a retelling of the Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale, Goose Girl. I didn't know that when I started reading it but found it doubly cool when I found out. The Goose Girl is an amazing story about a young princess, soon-to-be-queen that's future-kingdom, as well as her life, is in danger. The princess is an incredibly strong, wise, and resourceful woman. I wholeheartedly recommend it! There are also three more books in the series but they are companion novels so they can be read alone.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
ameliahulse

Post by ameliahulse »

Thank you for sharing the amazing book reference.
cyndibookswagbag
Favorite Author: Gena Showalter
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3591

Post by cyndibookswagbag »

Try Dorthy must die it is a re-tailing of wizard of oz with a different twist.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Check out Five Enchanted Roses...It's a collection of 5 different retellings of Beauty and the Beast. Also A Branch of Silver, A Branch of Gold by Anne Elisabeth Stengl is an awesome take on the 12 Dancing Princesses.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

Black Pearls: A Faerie Strand by Louise Hawes...this is a collection of retold fairy tales, definitely tending toward the dark but beautiful side of the tales. The book is technically YA, but adults will definitely enjoy it. There are also gorgeous illustrations with tastefully done nudity.

East by Edith Pattou is an absorbing retelling of the fairy tale "East of the Sun, West of the Moon"

Grim by Ellen Hopkins and others is another YA fairytale retelling compilation. Many of these stories are also darker. Be aware that several of the stories involve same-sex romance, nothing remotely graphic, but if that bothers you then keep that in mind
Ella1995
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ella1995.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Ella1995 »

Some biographies I would highly recommend are On Writing by Stephen King (part one is a biography about the author by the author, part two is about writing if you're also interested in that), and Clapton: The Autobiography which is quite compelling although it's very sad at times.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
JennyMatrix
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennymatrix.html

Post by JennyMatrix »

viridien wrote:Rosamund Hodge's Cruel Beauty is definitely a Beauty and the Beast retelling. If you enjoy it, you should check out some of her other books too.

Marissa Meyer's The Lunar Chronicles blends Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White all into one lovely series.
I'm a sucker for a twisted retelling of a fairytale, so I can definitely say that Cruel Beauty is an amazing Beauty and the Beast retelling. Another one I'm not sure if anyone mentioned is A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Mass. I thoroughly enjoyed that one as well. Soon I'm going to be reading Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay which I have heard is pretty decent. :D

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”