Horror Recommendations?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
jlindquist
Currently Reading: Golden Son
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlindquist.html

Re: Horror Recommendations?

Post by jlindquist »

Robert McCammon short stories: The Makeup, Night Crawlers, Night calls the Green Falcon. Some of these are very human type horror instead of paranormal or fantasy but that, to me, makes it more possible.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski was definitely the best one that I have read in a while. Not technically a "scare-you-with-monsters" type of horror, but rather a "what-is-going-on-I-feel-entirely-creeped-out-and-uneasy" kind of horror. It is really hard for me to describe but there are various levels of creepiness and unease throughout this tome. It is also a beautiful and creative book!
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

An Unquiet Grave by PJ Parrish really got to me. It might be because the story is set not to far from my house but the entire time I was reading it I thought someone was going to be looking in through my deck door whenever I looked up.

Another good one I have read is The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon. It is not as long or intense as An Unquiet Grave but it gives a feeling of unease the whole time.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Salem's Lot by Stephen King is an awesome horror book if you like scary vampires. :)
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

The Phantom of the Opera Gaston Leroux, or The Shining Stephen King
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

While horror is not really my thing, I recently read The Passage by Justin Cronin - a terrifying, post-apocolyptic vampire story that had me absolutely gripped.
Dave
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Dave »

A very interesting book I read last year was "The Fisherman" by John Langan. You might want to check it out.
Anthyealikesfood
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anthyealikesfood »

Hmmmm... Depends on what kind of Horror you're into. House of Leaves is a classic and is something that I definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't read it yet. If you're the type to like creepypastas The Story Of Her Holding And Orange was originally a long pasta that was rewritten as a book because of all the good feedback it got; I personally found it really interesting and the delivery wasn't bad either. If you like anthologies, some of the best ones I've read are The Curiosities, The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories By Women, and Tales From The Tower: The Willful Eye. If you prefer those that appeal to teenagers, The Dead Girl of Hysteria Hall, The Girl From The Well, All The Crooked Saints, the Asylum series, Blood and Salt, Shutter and and Dream Fall are the books for you. Diary Haunting was quite unnerving too, although the pacing was just a tad fast for my tastes.
Fatterfeline54

Post by Fatterfeline54 »

:lol:
Ngalan wrote: 09 Jul 2016, 01:31 Oooh! Anything by John Saul or Bentley Little. Both are great!
Love them both! !
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

I am yet to feel such horror you experienced, I have never felt any horror when reading and reviewing novels.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Jadiqua7

Post by Jadiqua7 »

Steven king is my favorite aurthor the book I enjoyed was 1408 .
CatlynnHighlights
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catlynnhighlights.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CatlynnHighlights »

konnapap wrote: 27 Jan 2017, 04:29 Pet Sematary by Stephen King. It's one of the scariest books I've ever read!
I definitely agree. I couldn't sleep well for a week after reading it.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I'm a little late to the party but... Dolores Claiborne and Pet Sematary by Stephen King, The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty, and Sleeping with the Enemy by Nancy Price were all unsettling for me and I love horror. Also anything by Dean Koontz can be good, I really enjoyed his book Intensity.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
TessaC
Currently Reading: Lara's Journal
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessac.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by TessaC »

The very early short stories by King are great: back when he was living in Maine and was writing these stories for men's magazines. Also try Joe Hill's short stories (King's son!) quite good, I liked them even better than his father's stories. My favorite King long book is either Pet Semetary or The Shining. Another creepy book is The Sentinel. There are many great horror books written in the 1970's. I think that was the golden age of these types of books.
sanykip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by sanykip »

i really enjoyed reading the short story 'Night Crawlers' and felt terrified

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”