Recommendations Wanted- Life Changing Books

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
KristiB42
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Recommendations Wanted- Life Changing Books

Post by KristiB42 »

I read all types of books, but the one that changed the way I think was Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. It is fiction but I found it left me really thinking about one of the most controversial issues, the death penalty.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

What we Saw by Aaron Hartzler.

This was the most horrifyingly real book I have ever read and I have never looked at the world the same way. It really opened my eyes to all the things that go on in modern society and go unnoticed, and I definitely cried an ocean of tears when I was reading this book. The only word I can really use to give it justice is "real", but this is definitely the book that I will remember for a lifetime.

(before you look it up though - Trigger warning: Rape)
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

The Trial by Franz Kafka personally changed me. It made me think about life and it introduced me to a new kind of books. Also, The Metamorphosis by the same author was amazing.
Bookaholic_Anonymous
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaholic-anonymous.html

Post by Bookaholic_Anonymous »

Forgotten Fire by Adam Bagdasarian
This book enlightened, educated, and opened my mind to tragedy and how to be thankful for what you have.

The Breathe trilogy by Rebecca Donovan
I don't know what it was about the book that had such an impact on me but still 'till this day this book has been one I've never forgotten. ( btw I read the first book about four years ago).
wordsgirl
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by wordsgirl »

The Language of Flowers changed the way I see marginalized women/girls struggling with life and lack of nurturing. Whole new outlook.
Joyful
Currently Reading: The Quantum Mind and Healing
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyful.html

Post by Joyful »

There are 2 books that I know changed my life completely. The first is Creative Visualization by Shakti Gowain. It is a bit "let's all live on a mountain top" but still an easy book to follow. Using her techniques really made a difference for me.

The most influential book I think I have ever read is You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay. In my circle of friends this book has become cliche. For me it was the best thing that ever happened. There is now a book and video combo which I would highly recommend. The video is for those moments when life just seems to get away from you. If you follow the techniques in the book you can seriously change your life.

The key to these books is actually doing the work but if you do it you will transform.
Ann2305
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann2305.html

Post by Ann2305 »

"A child called it" by Dave Pelzer changed the way I look at other people. It shows you just how trivial some of your problems are. It is incredibly moving and the fact that it is based on the life of the author means that it is written in such a way that you feel like you know the character. Be warned: Have copious amounts of tissues on hand, and if you have kids warn them that they will be hugged more than usual
Beachcomber+
Currently Reading: The wind up bird chronicles
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beachcomber.html

Post by Beachcomber+ »

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom! It is quite a short and simply written book but makes you go "Whoah" at the end and changes the way you see things. It's a story about the impact one, seemingly ordinary and everyday person has had on the world. Makes you look at people differently! I have recommended this to loads of friends!
BobW

Post by BobW »

I love a book that helps me see differently and feel differently. These 3 books did that, each in their own way. Really fantastic stuff.

I Will Not Die an Unlived Life by Dawna Markova
Leadership and Self-Deception by The Arbinger Institute
Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It by Kamal Ravikant

I hope you enjoy them,
Bob
fobiver
Currently Reading: The High Mountains of Portugal
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fobiver.html

Post by fobiver »

Whenever I'm asked this my automatic response is Les Miserables. It's rather hefty, so not a book for everyone, but I found that it really changes your perspective on things. And even though I'm not remotely religious, the Bishop of Digne, though only a fleeting character, is maybe my favourite character of any book I've read.

It's definitely worth the time and energy that goes into reading it.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I must definitely look up some of these books. The only one I've read is 'Flowers for Algernon', and I cried buckets.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
smbasham

Post by smbasham »

Wow, I have only heard /read a couple of the books mentioned above. I will definately have to check them out!
jonesmmichelle1
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesmmichelle1.html

Post by jonesmmichelle1 »

"Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert was a life changing book for me. I was inspired by her will to travel and see the world in a new light. I have read this book multiple times and every time I finish reading it I am inspired to change.
Evilia
Currently Reading: the different drum
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: ipad

Post by Evilia »

I strongly recommneded The return of the prodigal son by Henry Nouven. This is how the author gaze at the painting by Rembrandt and started to reflect on it ...

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”