Looking for some new books

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
apeekinherworld
Bookshelf Size: 0

Looking for some new books

Post by apeekinherworld »

Hello!

I'm almost done reading the book I'm currently reading (Picture Perfect - The Jodi Arias Story)

I'm looking to open up to a new book,something out of my comfort zone so I thought I would turn here for help :)

I usually read crime stories, so any help would be great :)!

Thank you in advance:)
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Crime? Sure...

Robert Crais' recent great book "Suspect" which won lots of awards. It's about a service dog Maggie who's suffering from PTSD (yes animals get this) and during her recovery, she's paired with an LA cop, Scott, who is also fighting PTSD. And together, they solve a murder. Terrific story!

I think Crais is about the finest crime writer right now. His amazing book from a few years ago, "Demolition Angel" is about the LA bomb squad tech Carol Starkey, was "killed" in a bombing (badly injured) and she's slowly recovering. And she comes across a deadly bomber who's actually creating booby traps to kill bomb techs. A stunning mystery, exciting and vivid.

Either of these books would be a fine choice -- adult oriented but not cheezy -- Robert Crais is the best.

-- 25 Feb 2016, 12:37 --

Then of course there's my own private detective novels, ha ha
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Beautiful_Soul
Favorite Author: Jodi Picoult
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 481">Peter Pan</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2678

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

I watched the Jodi Arias Trial almost everyday on HLN. Even though it's over it still fascinates me. The story was on Dr. Phil about week ago.

Anyway, I recently became interested in Lisa Gardner. The first book I read of hers was "Catch Me" I was really drawn to her Character, Detective D.D. Warren who she has written into several of her novels. I decided to give her another chance with "Fear Nothing" I would compare her to James Patterson if you've ever read any of his books. If you haven't read him yet I would suggest the Women's Murder Club series.

Anne Rule is a True Crime author and even though her stories are a bit older they still hold my attention till the end. Small Sacrifices was one of my favorites and I believe was highly publicized.
CanIBringABook
Currently Reading: Lord Peter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-canibringabook.html

Post by CanIBringABook »

If you're into crime fiction, but looking for something outside of the modern box, G. K. Chesterton and Dorothy Sayers are classic choices.

Chesterton's Father Brown series features a Catholic priest who solves crimes by understanding the criminal's (often surprising) motives. The writing is excellent--not as wordy as a Victorian novel, but descriptive and poetic.

Sayers is great if you're intrigued by early 20th century British culture. Lord Peter Whimsey, the central figure, is aristocratic, intelligent, and humorous, and his butler, Bunter, is the epitome of the ever-ready assistant.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Try The Postcard Killer by James Patterson, if you haven't already read that one. I recommend it. Not one of my favorite books, but the crime story is very well written and will keep you thinking and on your toes.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
icartbooks
Currently Reading: One Thousand White Women
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by icartbooks »

Some books that I would recommend are

-the-end-of-your-life-book-club

-the-winter-people

Redeeming_Love

-the-art-of-racing-in-the-rain
Damira
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damira.html

Post by Damira »

You can try James Patterson's books for crime although, I am a bit not into his writing style. He writes short chapters, and I feel like in some parts it would feel a little bit dragging. Anyway, Private, and some of it's spinoff's are the ones I've read and they're pretty good but put of ten, its between 6 and 7.

Sherlock Holmes, by the way, is the best crime series I've ever read and you should try it to :)

-- 08 Jul 2016, 12:18 --

*its
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

Jeffrey Deaver's "Lincoln Rhyme's" series are terrific.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

The Devil in the White City Erik Larsen

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”