Looking for adventure fiction set circa 1850's - 1930's

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
SeaTurtle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Looking for adventure fiction set circa 1850's - 1930's

Post by SeaTurtle »

Hello everyone, thanks for having me on the forum :)

I was wondering if you folks could recommend some good adventure fiction that's set any time between the 1850's - 1930's, anywhere in the world. It could have been written either back then or more recently, I don't mind, as long as it takes place somewhere within that time-frame.

A couple of particulars that I'd like to see (or not see) in the book:

1. I really want to read something that's well researched and feels historically authentic to the period. The book could be about made-up characters and events, but the world around them should feel authentic to the time period.

2. I really don't enjoy romance in books, so if possible I'd like to read something that doesn't include it significantly in the story.

I hope that's not too picky for you all to recommend something!
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Do you want realism? Or are fantastical elements okay?

Also, when you say romance, what exactly do you mean? (I've found that 'romance' is often interpreted differently, depending on who's talking.)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
SeaTurtle

Post by SeaTurtle »

Gravy wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 21:18 Do you want realism? Or are fantastical elements okay?

Also, when you say romance, what exactly do you mean? (I've found that 'romance' is often interpreted differently, depending on who's talking.)
I'd like the story to be grounded in the real world, but I don't mind some fantasy elements within the plot (akin to the likes of Indiana Jones or The Mummy).

By "romance" I mean love affairs, romantic interest, sex, etc. I don't like reading that kind of stuff in adventure stories.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

SeaTurtle wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 07:04
Gravy wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 21:18 Do you want realism? Or are fantastical elements okay?

I'd like the story to be grounded in the real world, but I don't mind some fantasy elements within the plot (akin to the likes of Indiana Jones or The Mummy).

By "romance" I mean love affairs, romantic interest, sex, etc. I don't like reading that kind of stuff in adventure stories.
I see. That probably counts the book I was thinking about out (narrator makes mundane life into a fantastical story, and the overall story winds up being a pseudo love letter to his wife/their life together, and their friends/town).

Wish I could be of more help!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
SeaTurtle

Post by SeaTurtle »

Gravy wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 07:39 I see. That probably counts the book I was thinking about out (narrator makes mundane life into a fantastical story, and the overall story winds up being a pseudo love letter to his wife/their life together, and their friends/town).

Wish I could be of more help!
No worries. I think it's hard to find fiction these days that stays away from romantic themes. Thanks for trying to help!

Years back I read a book called "West From Singapore" by the well-known Western author Louis L'Amour. It's a collection of short stories set in the 1930's-40's about a tramp-steamer captain, classic two-fisted pulp adventure stuff, and in most of the stories the main character stayed away from getting entagled in any romantic subplots. I was hoping I might be able to find more stuff like that.
Last edited by SeaTurtle on 05 Dec 2021, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
matina99
Currently Reading: If On a Winter's Night a Traveller
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matina99.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by matina99 »

I am not sure if this fully fits your description, as it does venture into the Goothic, but "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad could be a fit. It is a novella, and it features Marlow, a seasoned sailor, who recounts his adventures whilst working for a Company (a trading one) in the Congo River. It deals with colonialism, racism, slavery, and other issues. I must warn you though, it does feature some fantastical elements, which I do not wish to spoil.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”