Books with haunted houses.

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Books with haunted houses.

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Hi,

I need recommendations for books with haunted houses or mansions, preferably set in earlier times. Something like Haunting of Hill House. Also, it shouldn't have graphic violence. Some mystery would be nice. I also wouldn't mind a good blend of past and present.
Thank you.
Danelle Cale
Currently Reading: The Rancher's Widowed Bride
Bookshelf Size: 3515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danelle-cale.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danelle Cale »

I read and enjoyed The Haunting of Bell House series by James Hunt. Also, The Secret of Blackthorn Manor (The Haunted Manor Series Book 1) by Charlotte Volnek
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:

Danelle Cale wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 21:04 I read and enjoyed The Haunting of Bell House series by James Hunt. Also, The Secret of Blackthorn Manor (The Haunted Manor Series Book 1) by Charlotte Volnek
Thank you for replying. I'm going to check out both.
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson was written in the 1970's. Stephen King's The Shining is another good one. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James was written in 1898. I initially read it for a class in college and was not expecting it to be about ghosts - some say that it actually isn't about ghosts at all. Henry James' brother, William was a philosopher and a psychologist. I think that is why some don't know if they should interpret the book as a ghost story or as a book about someone who is hallucinating. I really enjoyed the book, and for some reason it really kinda creeped me out! There is probably a book on the Winchester Mansion which is located in California.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:

Bigwig1973 wrote: 02 May 2021, 20:57 The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson was written in the 1970's. Stephen King's The Shining is another good one. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James was written in 1898. I initially read it for a class in college and was not expecting it to be about ghosts - some say that it actually isn't about ghosts at all. Henry James' brother, William was a philosopher and a psychologist. I think that is why some don't know if they should interpret the book as a ghost story or as a book about someone who is hallucinating. I really enjoyed the book, and for some reason it really kinda creeped me out! There is probably a book on the Winchester Mansion which is located in California.
The Turn of the Screw is what inspired The Haunting of Hill House TV series, right?
I've heard of the Winchester Mansion, but there are also theories that suggest it wasn't haunted, but Lady Winchester wasn't mentally alright.
And I have a question about The Shining, does it have any form of child abuse? Because I tried to read Gerald's game and it was triggering for me, so I had to skip those parts. Even IT had it, so I'm sceptical about reading his books.
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Michelle Menezes wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote: The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson was written in the 1970's. Stephen King's The Shining is another good one. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James was written in 1898. I initially read it for a class in college and was not expecting it to be about ghosts - some say that it actually isn't about ghosts at all. Henry James' brother, William was a philosopher and a psychologist. I think that is why some don't know if they should interpret the book as a ghost story or as a book about someone who is hallucinating. I really enjoyed the book, and for some reason it really kinda creeped me out! There is probably a book on the Winchester Mansion which is located in California.
The Turn of the Screw is what inspired The Haunting of Hill House TV series, right?
I've heard of the Winchester Mansion, but there are also theories that suggest it wasn't haunted, but Lady Winchester wasn't mentally alright.
And I have a question about The Shining, does it have any form of child abuse? Because I tried to read Gerald's game and it was triggering for me, so I had to skip those parts. Even IT had it, so I'm sceptical about reading his books.
According to Wikipedia, the Haunting Hill series was based on a book of the same name. As to Mrs. Winchester, the story goes that she kept adding to the mansion to appease ghosts who were angry about the Winchester rifle company, which was apparently owned by her husband. I'm not sure why she would be haunted for something he did, but that's the story. The mansion was actually once a farm that was supposedly very modern for the time. If she was mentally unstable, she did some rather sane things like having a tin floor put on an indoor greenhouse so the excess water would be caught in barrels and reused. Also, she had curved inserts added to the corners of each stair so that when the servants swept, it would make the task easier. They didn't have to dig in the corner to get the dirt out which probably also saved on brooms! As to The Shining, if the child is abused, the abuse appears to be attributed to an alcoholic father, a ghost or many ghosts who don't care for the child, a father who went "stir crazy" or had "cabin fever", or ghosts who bother the father to try to get him to harm his own child. Either way, the child seems to be in some sort of peril, so it might not be the best book for you!

I have a book I haven't read entitled Haunted Houses that was written by Richard Winer and Nancy Osborn. I hope you find the kind of books that you are looking for!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:

Bigwig1973 wrote: 05 May 2021, 08:46
Michelle Menezes wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote: The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson was written in the 1970's. Stephen King's The Shining is another good one. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James was written in 1898. I initially read it for a class in college and was not expecting it to be about ghosts - some say that it actually isn't about ghosts at all. Henry James' brother, William was a philosopher and a psychologist. I think that is why some don't know if they should interpret the book as a ghost story or as a book about someone who is hallucinating. I really enjoyed the book, and for some reason it really kinda creeped me out! There is probably a book on the Winchester Mansion which is located in California.
According to Wikipedia, the Haunting Hill series was based on a book of the same name. As to Mrs. Winchester, the story goes that she kept adding to the mansion to appease ghosts who were angry about the Winchester rifle company, which was apparently owned by her husband. I'm not sure why she would be haunted for something he did, but that's the story. The mansion was actually once a farm that was supposedly very modern for the time. If she was mentally unstable, she did some rather sane things like having a tin floor put on an indoor greenhouse so the excess water would be caught in barrels and reused. Also, she had curved inserts added to the corners of each stair so that when the servants swept, it would make the task easier. They didn't have to dig in the corner to get the dirt out which probably also saved on brooms! As to The Shining, if the child is abused, the abuse appears to be attributed to an alcoholic father, a ghost or many ghosts who don't care for the child, a father who went "stir crazy" or had "cabin fever", or ghosts who bother the father to try to get him to harm his own child. Either way, the child seems to be in some sort of peril, so it might not be the best book for you!

I have a book I haven't read entitled Haunted Houses that was written by Richard Winer and Nancy Osborn. I hope you find the kind of books that you are looking for!
Thank you for responding. I'll check The Amityville Horror.
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Michelle Menezes wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:
Michelle Menezes wrote:

If I remember correctly, bad things do happen to children in that story also - for instance, a ghost (supposedly) slams a window down on one of the children's hands. So, you might want to rethink that one too! Sorry!

Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:

Bigwig1973 wrote: 05 May 2021, 12:04
Michelle Menezes wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote:

If I remember correctly, bad things do happen to children in that story also - for instance, a ghost (supposedly) slams a window down on one of the children's hands. So, you might want to rethink that one too! Sorry!
As long as it's not a long and detailed explanation, I think I'll be fine with that. I just have a problem with child s*xual abuse.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”