Help!

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Soren52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Help!

Post by Soren52 »

Hi all, I'm trying to find a good book for my brother for Christmas. He is going on a train trip across the country and so I thought a book to read would make a great gift. My problem is that he reads completely different genres from me. I'd love a recommendation for a historical non-fiction or biography. He likes political figures and musicians. He also likes sports and gangster movies. I know that is super broad, but I'd love some help.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I've read a Kirby Puckett book and I liked that one. I have read The Godfather by Mario Puzo which was made into a movie by Francis Coppola. I haven't read a lot of books on musicians - Jim Morrison and the Doors. I read Oliver North's book and Sarah Palin's book and they were both good. You could get him a copy of "The Importance of Being Earnest" as in the play, Earnest was found on a train in a suitcase.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Soren52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Soren52 »

I love "The Importance of being Earnest". That's a great idea!
AngelicG
Currently Reading: Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelicg.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by AngelicG »

"The Importance of Being Earnest" makes a good audiobook too. I have a version where Lady Bracknell is read by Judi Dench. I would also have to try hard not to chuckle aloud while listening to it.

I liked Nelson Mandela's "A Walk For Freedom".

If he is into ancient Greeks... I loved Stephen Fry's "Mythos". Not quite non fiction but inspired by Greek mythology there is also Madeleine Miller "Circe".

"Nothing to Envy: Real lives in North Korea" by Barbara Demick is a moving interesting read.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”