Minority Literature

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Minority Literature

Post by Bri C »

I'm beginning a book club with my college and recent grad friends focusing on minority literature, particularly queer and Hispanic, but covering the full range, hopefully. Off the top of our heads, we're thinking Aristotle and Dante, Song of Achilles, Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady, and possibly Simon and the Homo Sapien Agenda. We want to both explore how various identities are represented in literature and honestly sometimes just see ourselves represented in the media we consume. Anyone have any recommendations?
VivianLove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianlove.html
Latest Review: False Trails by Whittney Corum

Post by VivianLove »

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo?
This sounds like an awesome book club! Please post your final booklist. I would love to see all the recommendations!
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

The Poet X looks really good! Did you read it or listen to the audiobook? I noticed some people on goodreads said that the audiobook might actually be better for this one due to the slam poetry aspect. I usually prefer reading due to auditory processing disorder, but I'm really intrigued by that bit.

Will do! I'm excited to see what books we come up with. I found quieroleer, a website with Spanish books, but only two of us speak Spanish, so I don't know how helpful that'll end up being, ha. I know there's a few subreddits (and at least there used to be tumblrs?) dedicated to this sort of stuff, and I'm using them to compile ideas too.
VivianLove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianlove.html
Latest Review: False Trails by Whittney Corum

Post by VivianLove »

I didn't listen to the Poet X audiobook, only read the book, so I'm not sure how the two formats would compare. In general, I'm not a big fan of audiobooks haha, because I need more time to process and appreciate words than audiobooks would allow.

Unfortunately, I don't speak Spanish, and I wish I know more books that are translated from other languages. Looking forward to seeing your booklist!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Bri C wrote: 25 May 2020, 22:37 I'm beginning a book club with my college and recent grad friends focusing on minority literature, particularly queer and Hispanic, but covering the full range, hopefully. Off the top of our heads, we're thinking Aristotle and Dante, Song of Achilles, Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady, and possibly Simon and the Homo Sapien Agenda. We want to both explore how various identities are represented in literature and honestly sometimes just see ourselves represented in the media we consume. Anyone have any recommendations?
That sounds great; Jeanette Winterson's Oranges are not the Only Fruit and The Passion revolve around themes of sexual exploration, and I do think Angela Carter's The Passion of New Eve is also a good read. Hope it helps and good luck!
Lydia Matson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Odyssey
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-matson.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Lydia Matson »

I highly recommend any book by Toni Morrison, and also The Color Purple if you have not read it.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”