Looking for personal development/self help books

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
kkbeermoney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Looking for personal development/self help books

Post by kkbeermoney »

I'm reading The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod at the moment and for those who haven't read it, a big part of the book is about finding things to read that will help with personal, spiritual, or professional development. I already have some professional development books on my list but I want to know if anyone has any good personal development/self-help books that would be good to read, especially right now since the whole quarantine thing has been getting me down. Thanks in advance! :techie-studyinggray:
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

These books definitely helped me see life in a different light:
✓The road less travelled by scott peck
✓Man's search for meaning by Viktor frankl
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

The only self-help book that I was ever able to finish was The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*** by Mark Manson. I’m not sure how you feel about profanity because there’s definitely some in here so that’s something to consider. I found it to be helpful when I was struggling with anxiety, it’s witty and helped to shift my perspective.
Good luck.
kkbeermoney
Currently Reading:

Post by kkbeermoney »

Thank you both! I'll check those out.
Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Genetic Spurn - The Reality? by M. R. Coates - Rutgers Univ. GSM

Post by Marty_Kelly »

You may also want to check out The Mindset by Ace Bowers. I read it recently and it's a very relatable book. Also it's also very short. It's a book you can finish in a day.
smj3aaa

Post by smj3aaa »

I really loved Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy. It helps you realize that putting off even the small things is life can cause anxiety and/or keep you from living your best life.
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

You should read "The MISOGI Method". It is a self-help book. It really helped to reach the limits which I never thought I could. It raised my levels in each field. It lets you explore on what you can do and what you think you can do. You should check that out! The book is perfect for self-development and the things mentioned in it can be easily applied to everything we regularly do. No new requirements or changing anything in our lives!
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

Alyssa wrote: 03 May 2020, 12:41 The only self-help book that I was ever able to finish was The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*** by Mark Manson. I’m not sure how you feel about profanity because there’s definitely some in here so that’s something to consider. I found it to be helpful when I was struggling with anxiety, it’s witty and helped to shift my perspective.
Good luck.
Mark Manson and his book The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*** taught how not to give attention to trivial things and to things that don't add value to my life. I also like his book, Everything is F*** :)
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

smj3aaa wrote: 17 May 2020, 09:08 I really loved Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy. It helps you realize that putting off even the small things is life can cause anxiety and/or keep you from living your best life.
This book is amazing and recommended for procrastinators! :D
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:

Post by jennydelacruz »

These are the books that helped me and made an impact in my life (among others)

- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Conversations with God by Neale Donald
- Pyscho-cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
- What I Know for Sure by Oprah Winfrey
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I’m currently reading Ikigai The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life by Albert Liebermann and Hector Garcia
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

When I read books to help me improve on something about myself, I find that having activities or questions to provoke thought help, and journaling is one of the best ways to help me get out of my comfort zone and get creative. That being said, I have found The Artist's Way and Vein of Gold, both by Julia Cameron to be particularly helpful. If you follow either one of these through the exercises, you're bound to learn more about yourself than you could have ever imagined.
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

Try The Secrets to a Fantastic life by Dr. Lycka and Harriet. I'm sure you'll love it.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

I read the following during quarantine, each helped me improve my mental state during that time quite a bit:

1.The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday (I underlined soooo much of this book)
2. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (this was my second time reading this book and it had a major impact on me)
3. To Shake the Sleeping Self by Jedidiah Jenkins (this gave me a lot in terms of empathy and trying to understand your own self)

I hope this helps!
Disquisitive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disquisitive.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Disquisitive »

I highly recommend Talent is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin. It's very readable, very inspirational, yet it's based on facts from studies and surveys, not hand-waving. The reason I recommend it is that it very much changed my outlook on a lot of things. After you read it, you feel like you have a "secret weapon" with which you can achieve things. And it works. It's not like the type of personal development where there's a lot of air but nothing to hold onto afterwards. My only regret is that I didn't read this book when I was younger. I would have loved to be armed with this knowledge earlier in life, although it certainly still works when applied at any age, young or old.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

The most recent book on self-help I read was The Mindset by Ace Bowers. Trust me, self-help according to this book is all about the way you think about yourself, it changed my mindset about my image for me. I believe that it the first step for self-help.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”