YA book recommendations?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
isha0108
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isha0108.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

YA book recommendations?

Post by isha0108 »

I read mostly YA fantasy but you don't have to limit your recommendations to that.
P.S. I've already read most of the popular ones like anything by Rick Riordan, Sarah J Mass, Harry potter Series, Cassandra Clare, The selection series, Graceling series, grisha series and Soc, anything by Marie Lu, Strange the dreamer, Daughter of smoke and bone, hunger games, maze runner, Divergent series etc
amalhaseeb
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amalhaseeb »

The Song of the Lionness series by Tamora Pierce was one of my personal favorites. Throne of Glass reminded me a lot of Song of the Lionness with the character interactions and the world building. It's not as rooted in fantasy as TOG or ACOTAR, but I think you'd enjoy it.
willow_roseksrm2000
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by willow_roseksrm2000 »

My all-time favorite YA fantasy series is Maximum Ride by James Paterson! I love all of his work, but my mom got me hooked on Maximum Ride when I was 10. I've read all of the books in the series at least a dozen times each. They are very good! A lot of thrilling adventures and the chapters are short, so you don't have to read 20 pages at one time if you don't want to.
isha0108

Post by isha0108 »

amalhaseeb wrote: 29 May 2019, 15:42 The Song of the Lionness series by Tamora Pierce was one of my personal favorites. Throne of Glass reminded me a lot of Song of the Lionness with the character interactions and the world building. It's not as rooted in fantasy as TOG or ACOTAR, but I think you'd enjoy it.
I've wanted to check out Tamora Pierce's books for a while but didn't know where to begin. I'll definitely check this out.
isha0108

Post by isha0108 »

willow_roseksrm2000 wrote: 29 May 2019, 17:50 My all-time favorite YA fantasy series is Maximum Ride by James Paterson! I love all of his work, but my mom got me hooked on Maximum Ride when I was 10. I've read all of the books in the series at least a dozen times each. They are very good! A lot of thrilling adventures and the chapters are short, so you don't have to read 20 pages at one time if you don't want to.
Well the premise certainly sounds interesting and it'll be refreshing to read a YA fantasy novel where romance isn't a major part of the plot.
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

The Giver series by Lois Lowry.
The Spooks Apprentice by Joseph Delaney. Long series 14 books at last count.
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. YA fantasy with a strong young female protagonist as the main character.
Ender's game by Orson Scott Card. Seventh Son series also by OSC. Both start with the main character as a young boy and follow him to adulthood.
Inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini.
Last edited by han87 on 03 Jun 2019, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Seanan McGuire's Wayward Children series.

Begins with...(forgive me, I find that covers always help)Image
Every Heart a Doorway

The whole series is portal fantasy. Including (in Beneath the Sugar Sky) a candyland like world called Confection. It's one of my favorite things (the series and Confection).

Also, it is entirely young adult by definition (and price! :lol: ), but is often shelved in with adult fantasy.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
monikelldell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monikelldell.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by monikelldell »

Really recommend:
-the Delirium series (trilogy: Delirium, Pandemonium, and Requiem) by Lauren Oliver
-the Caraval series (I've only read the first one so far, but it was amazing!) by Stephanie Garber
-Jasper Jones, by Craig Silvey

All completely unrelated, but hope that helps!

:D :D
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

I second the Caraval books.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by S Mishra »

isha0108 wrote: 29 May 2019, 13:27 I read mostly YA fantasy but you don't have to limit your recommendations to that.
P.S. I've already read most of the popular ones like anything by Rick Riordan, Sarah J Mass, Harry potter Series, Cassandra Clare, The selection series, Graceling series, grisha series and Soc, anything by Marie Lu, Strange the dreamer, Daughter of smoke and bone, hunger games, maze runner, Divergent series etc

I have read most of the series/books you mentioned and I loved them all.
Try this series: Air Awakens by Elise Kova
It's not very well known and I wouldn't have read it if my friend hadn't recommended but I'm so grateful she did. The world, the plot, the characters, the magic, the romance, the politics ... All of it is amazing.

The first couple of chapters of the first book might be a bit slow but trust me, it's totally worth it. I have never finished a series this fast and then gone back to reread it just as quick.
"If anyone needs me, I’ll be reading.... Please don’t need me."
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I will second the recommendation for Tamora Pierce. The Song of the Lioness Quartet is definitely the place to start, but I do love everything by her.

The Mortal Engines series by Phillip Reeve is pretty good. The first book is better than the second, but it's not bad.

Run Like Hell, which is the first book in the Wandering Monsters series by Elliot Kay is super fun, especially if you like kind of pure fantasy (elves, orcs, goblins, etc.)
Also by Elliot Kay is the Poor Man's Fight series. It is science fiction, so maybe not what you are looking for, but I've enjoyed all five books in the series so far. (Original trilogy is Poor Man's Fight, Rich Man's War, and Dead Man's Debt.)
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Um, here's one for you and anyone who wants to read a book of this genre : LGBT, Romance, YA, Contemporary (not all characters are LGBT)

Seven Ways We Lie
by Riley Redgate

I couldn't put the book down and I normally don't read YA.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
KatiesReading
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by KatiesReading »

The Knife of Never Letting go is an amazing series, or really anything Patrick Ness has ever written! - Enjoy!
MRose200293
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrose200293.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MRose200293 »

I personally really enjoyed The Ascendance Trilogy!! It was a really fun read haha
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

We have the same list of favorites! You might want to add Victoria Aveyard' Red Queen series, Daughter of the Pirate King series and Shadow's Between Us

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”