Saddest Love Story of All Time?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Re: Saddest Love Story of All Time?

Post by Julie Green »

For you like a sad romance, you might give One Day by David Nicholls a try. Definitely one of those stories that will stay with you for a few days after you put the book down.
_ayshaaaa_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by _ayshaaaa_ »

I am going to go with A Walk To Remember and Me Before You (although I know a lot of people disliked it).
For some weird reasons, TFIOS failed to make me shed even one drop :/ Although Looking For Alaska was a sad one-sided love story (but I hope that counts).
Jnlacy1102
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnlacy1102.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jnlacy1102 »

I definitely have to agree on A Walk to Remember! Both the book and the movie are guaranteed cry-inducers. I also loved My Sister's Keeper. It has been a long time since I read it, but I cried my eyes out at the ending.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
coffeeteal
Currently Reading: The Grand
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B07RB71NTN

Post by coffeeteal »

To me, the little mermaid is the saddest love story. I read it when I was in my junior school. It was my first love-based novel and it has an impact at that tender age :P
Another saddest love story would be Wuthering Heights! I think everyone can agree with that.
I can't agree that a walk to remember is the saddest love story though many feel so. To me, it is the sincerest love story ever penned down and it never fails to instill my faith in love which gets changed and tested through age :) I have read it thrice so far at different phases of life and it is also my only favourite book as a love story.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I hate to go with a cliché, but m choice would be The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. The movie was good, but the book took my breath away. I remember just closing it when i was finished reading and saying “wow”.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

TobiOrNotTobi wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 20:34 In your opinion, what do you think is the saddest love story of all time? I'd love to read (if not read yet) the books you guys will mention because torturing yourself with the feels is what I do best :handgestures-thumbsup:
Definitely Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. It's about a soldier who steps on a land mine and he survives... :violence-bomb:
but with none of his senses, only the sense of touch. He is not brain dead but still thinks and has memories. It is so sad that I didn't even read the whole thing yet... only a sample... gotta be in the right state of mind to handle that book. :crying-yellow:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Probably Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson. Damn, that book made my cry so hard. It isn't necessarily a "love" story, because it's the story of two teens and romance isn't really dwelt upon, but it's going to make you ugly-cry for several minutes (or hours).
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Is ps I love you also a book, because that movie makes me bawl like a baby every. Single. Time.
cassiekeech2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: -2
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cassiekeech2019 »

Marley and Me.
Cardui
Currently Reading: Legal Guide for the Visual Artist
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Cardui »

ScoutWrites wrote: 08 May 2018, 09:34 I haven't read many love stories, but The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is probably the most heartbreaking thing I've read, at least recently. If you've already read that one, his latest novel Turtles All the Way Down isn't quite as sad, but it deals with mental illness in a way that is kind of tragic.
I agree, ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ was so sad but a great book.
KatiesReading
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by KatiesReading »

Really any Nicolas Sparks novel, he really loves to write a tear-jerker.

But if you're looking for something a little different, then "Adrift: A true story of Love, Loss and Survival at Sea" is an absolutely incredible read!
mohamed benziane
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohamed-benziane.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by mohamed benziane »

omg, a walk to remember has left a mark in my life, that before I knew that it was based on the true story of his poor little sister, God bless her soul, now that I know that, I cry even more, it is definitely my saddest story
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Shadowlands about C.S. Lewis and I know the movie What Dreams May Come was sad so I'm assuming the book is too.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

I think it's the one where one of the lovers died, he was murdered and the lady cried her eyes out. She was pregnant for him at that point. I can't remember the title though.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”