Looking for a Nordic viking tale

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Ricky75
Bookshelf Size: 0

Looking for a Nordic viking tale

Post by Ricky75 »

Hey guys!
I'm looking for a novel that is based on vikings and viking mythology. Something that follows a story relating warriors and glory. Anyone have any ideas? Anything that a follows a main character or party of characters. And anything that brings to mind any of the following: big glorious beard, war axes, mead and banquets, warships, Odin, Thor, kings, draugr, companionship, survival, devastation, hardships, glorious triumphs. Bonus points if you can name a series :D

All suggestions are very much appreciated

Cheers,
Ricky :)
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Check out Swords of Good Men by Snorri Kristjansson. It is a the start of The Valhalla Saga trilogy :)
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

Tim Severin's Viking trilogy is a good read. As is Neil Gaiman's "Norse Mythology", which is a re-telling of the Norse myths. Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series, while not totally about the Vikings, is an excellent read set in that era.
The original sagas themselves are quite a good read too. You can buy them individually, or as an anthology.
Ricky75
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ricky75 »

Thanks so much for the ideas! I've gotten my hands on the first book in the Saxon series and I'm ordering the Swords of Good Men tomorrow. Can't believe I was struggling to find stuff not too long ago and now I'm spoilt for choice. Once again thanks very much to the both of you!
Dave
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Dave »

Check out Rhinegold by Stephan Grundy. It's one of my favorites.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

If your willing to read something more comedic and child-like, there is always the Magnus Chase series by Rick Riordan. The first book is called the Sword of Summer and it follows a teenage homeless boy as he dies (not a spoiler) and becomes a warrior of Valhalla. These books tend to take a very comedic outlook on mythology, but is also full of sarcasm, wit, and good relationships between characters.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”