I’m bad at reading- recommendations?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
emilyjessicas
Bookshelf Size: 0

I’m bad at reading- recommendations?

Post by emilyjessicas »

I really want to find a book that I’ll enjoy. I don’t like reading, and I’m very slow at reading and even slower when it’s a book I don’t like. I really really love reading when it’s a book I actually enjoy, and I can read those very fast, but there’s really not a lot of books I found that I like. I read “To kill a mockingbird” for my high school English class last year and loved it, and I also loved “Legend”. I don’t really prefer romance novels in particular, and books that can be found in a high school library are best. Any recommendations are so so appreciated. Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Perhaps it might help to know what kind of books you like. You said you don't really like romance. You like young adult books. Do you like more of a science fiction or fantasy? Mystery? That might help to know what to recommend.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

It looks like you'll enjoy more books in the young adult genre? Or the classics? There's a lot of good books out there if you really know what type of genre you gravitate toward.
seeker19
Currently Reading: The Trials of Apollo
Bookshelf Size: 506
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seeker19.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by seeker19 »

If you're looking for high school level books, I really loved the Catcher in the Rye. It is an amazing novel. I'm not really sure if you're into the sort of dystopian themes, but the Handmaid's Tale is also an interesting book I read in high school. It is really amazing and it really makes you think and reflect on society. I got through it in one day!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

If you enjoyed "To Kill A Mockingbird" Have you tried Harper Lee's other book, "Go Set A Watchman"?
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Tj_baller
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4484">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Tj_baller »

I enjoyed the Book Thief and the Maze Runner series :D Give them a try!
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

There are some great recommendations already on this thread-I would especially second Catcher in the Rye. You might also check out Fahrenheit 451. Another Margaret Atwood book that I really enjoyed was The Robber Bride. As a fellow slow reader, I sympathize with struggling to get through books you don’t like!
Yung Senpai
Favorite Book: Lolita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Yung Senpai »

Not trying to be offensive or nothing, but try children books first if your attention spam is really weakened, after a while migrate to more consistent and advanced books, pick a genre you like to give you more motivation to keep reading, after a while again, challenge yourself with some classic literature, it can be poetry, political science/metaphysics or fiction.

The thing is to keep one step at the time. Also have a daily goal not hard to fulfill, you need to build the habit of reading and keeping concentration. Something simple like 5 pages a day minimum is enough in the beginning when you move to serious books. Good luck.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

You might enjoy listening to audiobooks rather than reading. I love Audible for the newest audiobooks. Good luck!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Nedya22

Post by Nedya22 »

I would recommend Dead Poet'S Society. Because it wasn't based on the movie the language is simple and straight forward. Also, it's easier to visualize once you've seen the movie so you have a point of reference. This book is beginner level but not beginner content. :D
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

If you don't already know it, you might like to try John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men which is short and deliberately written to make it accessible.

Alternatively, if you like child narrators writing about non-childish things, you might like to try The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon - the narrator is an autistic boy.
Aspenblanchard

Post by Aspenblanchard »

I loved the book “The Outsiders” one of my favorites book. About the socs and greasers definetly worth reading!!!!
Frankieis4me

Post by Frankieis4me »

Have you read Harry Potter? Can't go wrong there. Yes- listening to books in the car!
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier is a favorite of mine. You might also enjoy his other, I Am The Cheese.

I also suggest trying comic books or graphic novels. The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is one of my favorites. There's also graphic novel versions of classic literature. I have a graphic novel version of Fahrenheit 451 that is incredible! I haven't read this yet, but there's a comic book called Here There Be Gerblins based on the My Brother My Brother and Me podcast series, The Adventure Zone, where they did DnD with their dad.

Another recommendation I have is to find books that might interest you based on movies or shows you enjoy. For instance, The Umbrella Academy on Netflix was an amazing show to binge-watch, that also happens to be based on a comic book series by Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance. He also has another comic book series called The Killjoys, which are referenced in at least two of his music videos.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”