If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 20 Dec 2016, 20:11
- Bookshelf Size: 0
Unfortunately, I'm finding it quite hard to find good recommendations beyond some authors I've already read, like Chinua Achebe and NoViolet Bulawayo (would really recommend checking out both, by the way!). If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be fantastic in particular, if anyone knows any good Tanzanian, Angolan or Rwandan writers that I might enjoy, I'd be very very grateful.
- Bad Macaw
- Posts: 43
- Joined: 28 Dec 2016, 06:04
- Bookshelf Size: 18
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bad-macaw.html
- Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
- Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
I would suggest Ondjaki (Angola), Jose Eduardo Agualusa(Angola) and Mia Couto (Mozambique). We've always had books by these authors around the house, I grew up with their names and their words. I couldn't recommend them more!!
I have read these authors in Portuguese, but there are editions in English. You will find some beautiful writing in their books. I'm not sure how well Mia Couto translates to English, because he is known for making up his own words, a mixture of Portuguese and regional dialects.
I really need to reread them! Thank you for reminding me Let me know what you think if you do give them a try!
Edit: Almost forgot: Pepetela is another great Angolan writer
- Previous Member of the Month
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 14 May 2014, 09:59
- 2018 Reading Goal: 100
- 2017 Reading Goal: 50
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
- Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
- Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
- Bookshelf Size: 159
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
- Latest Review: And Then Opens Possibility by Vicki L. Flaherty
- Location: here
“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
beat his heart until it was unconscious.
― Nayyirah Waheed
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 08 Jun 2017, 10:19
- 2017 Reading Goal: 5
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
- Currently Reading: Yesterday
- Bookshelf Size: 434