Books on addictions

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Books on addictions

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I'm looking for books on addictions that would benefit addicts. They can be technical books, case studies, or books on addiction in a nonconventional way, etc. By unconventional I mean, for instance, A Clockwork Orange could be viewed as a book about addicts from several angles. Alex, the protagonist is "addicted" to violence, his friends are addicted to following him, the community Alex lives in is addicted to believing in his existence as a negative force, and those trying to control Alex are addicted to control. In other words, the book doesn't have to necessarily focus on drugs, gambling, or sex addiction; any kind of an addiction might be relevant.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Why Can't Johnny Just Quit is a good one. Killing Pain is another.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

These three are novels, worth the read for any recovering or recovered addict:

High Achiever: The Incredible True Story of One Addict’s Double Life - Tiffany Jenkins
Idiot - Laura Clery
My Fair Junkie - Amy Dresner

Recovery self-help:
The Language of Letting Go - Melody Beattie
Codependent No More - Melody Beattie
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

kandscreeley wrote: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit is a good one. Killing Pain is another.
Thank you! I just read Why Can't Johnny Just Quit and I agree, it is a good one! I'll look up Killing Pain.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

El Brandhaus wrote: These three are novels, worth the read for any recovering or recovered addict:

High Achiever: The Incredible True Story of One Addict’s Double Life - Tiffany Jenkins
Idiot - Laura Clery
My Fair Junkie - Amy Dresner

Recovery self-help:
The Language of Letting Go - Melody Beattie
Codependent No More - Melody Beattie
Thank you so much for the recommendations - I will look them up!

Emmy page
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy-page.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Emmy page »

When we talk about addictions,the first idea that comes to mind is drugs.Besides being addicted to other things like food or books, the former is far more dangerous and demands urgent attention.For which i recommend "why can't johnny Just quit" by Kyle Oh. It will help you be aware of the risks if you are not an addict, and/or give you knowledge to help those who are addicted.
josephinemmarsh
Currently Reading: Dutch Girl
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by josephinemmarsh »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 13:05 I'm looking for books on addictions that would benefit addicts. They can be technical books, case studies, or books on addiction in a nonconventional way, etc. By unconventional I mean, for instance, A Clockwork Orange could be viewed as a book about addicts from several angles. Alex, the protagonist is "addicted" to violence, his friends are addicted to following him, the community Alex lives in is addicted to believing in his existence as a negative force, and those trying to control Alex are addicted to control. In other words, the book doesn't have to necessarily focus on drugs, gambling, or sex addiction; any kind of an addiction might be relevant.
I'm not sure if you'd like to give poetry books a try but most of the books by Ellen Hopkins hits those topics like drugs, addiction, sex, etc but its technically in the teen genre I think. I still highly recommend, I loved how she wrote the books. Though its a poetry book it flows and reads like a book. The placement of the words on the page also correlates to the story at times. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! I haven't read it in years but totally would again!
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

josephinemmarsh wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote: I'm looking for books on addictions that would benefit addicts. They can be technical books, case studies, or books on addiction in a nonconventional way, etc. By unconventional I mean, for instance, A Clockwork Orange could be viewed as a book about addicts from several angles. Alex, the protagonist is "addicted" to violence, his friends are addicted to following him, the community Alex lives in is addicted to believing in his existence as a negative force, and those trying to control Alex are addicted to control. In other words, the book doesn't have to necessarily focus on drugs, gambling, or sex addiction; any kind of an addiction might be relevant.
I'm not sure if you'd like to give poetry books a try but most of the books by Ellen Hopkins hits those topics like drugs, addiction, sex, etc but its technically in the teen genre I think. I still highly recommend, I loved how she wrote the books. Though its a poetry book it flows and reads like a book. The placement of the words on the page also correlates to the story at times. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! I haven't read it in years but totally would again!
Thank you so much for the recommendation! I have never heard of her; sometimes poetry is more appealing than prose, and it looks like she has done both! A little something for everyone! I will definitely add her to my list!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”