Looking for a new book to read

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Shaun_11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Looking for a new book to read

Post by Shaun_11 »

Books that changed people's life?
Made your eyes open and gave you a good worldly view, made you a better person. Like the feeling you get seeing the world. Fiction and nonfiction.
Hey guys I am looking for a new book any suggested books will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Hi @Shaun_11

I've got a great recommendation for a book that I personally found life-changing.
Do read this book: E-Squared: Nine Do-It-Yourself Energy Experiments That Prove Your Thoughts Create Your Reality by Pam Grout. It's delightful, funny and profound. Reading this book helped me silent the non-stop mental chatter my brain indulges in. I finally understood how damaging it is to think negative thoughts, and the importance of positive and uplifting self-talk.
I've read similar books before and been advised by people to think positively, etc. but none of that worked for me. This book, however, changed everything. I think it's the content itself and the brilliant writing style. The book is definitely persuasive but not demanding. And the funny and lighthearted tone of the book keeps you glued to the end.
I've quoted the message because I replied with the same message on another forum and don't want people to think that I'm spamming the forums with the same message everywhere. By the way, the original post asked for a recommendation on books based on Law of Attraction. Although this book is based on that concept, the book in itself is a great self-help book for changing one's mindset. Happy Reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Wild by Cheryl Strayed or anything by Deepak Chopra.
-Amy
setiyo rini
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by setiyo rini »

Ikigai : the japanese secret to a long and happy life by hector gracia and frances
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

These are kind of freaky or sad: The Hot Zone by Richard Preston (1994) is about viruses, mainly ebola and marburg. Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo is about a soldier in WWI, Germinal by Zola is about coalmining in France in the 1860s. Alex: The Life of a Child by Frank Deford is a short book about a little girl who had cystic fibrosis and it was published in 1983. The last three are also movies and the band Metallica had a video called "One" that was based on Trumbo's book. There is a film called The Hot Zone but it was different than the book if I remember correctly. Although I can't recommend a particular collection, I'm assuming that you would be able to find a book of short stories from around the world. If you have a nearby university that offers world literature courses, they might have a course book that would be "worldly" in that sense.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Little_Lotte
Currently Reading: Rimas
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-lotte.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Little_Lotte »

It is not a new book but it is amazing: The shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”