Any Fantasy Books with Slow-Burn Romance?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Nithilah Ayyappan
Currently Reading: We Hunt the Flame
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nithilah-ayyappan.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B07KR2N2GF

Any Fantasy Books with Slow-Burn Romance?

Post by Nithilah Ayyappan »

Hello, I've been quite obsessed with fantasy books recently, such as ACOTAR and ToG. I was wondering if anyone knew of books similar to these that include both the fantasy aspect as well as some strong romance? Thanks!
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

If you like fantasy romance, try these authors: Grace Draven, Miranda Honfleur, K.M.Shea, Amanda Bouchet, Alisha Klapheke, Natalia Jaster, Clara C. Johnson. I have a few more, let me know if you want them.
Some of these authors do write smut, so if it bothers you, I'll give you recommendations with clean romance.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

Nithilah Ayyappan wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 08:58 Hello, I've been quite obsessed with fantasy books recently, such as ACOTAR and ToG. I was wondering if anyone knew of books similar to these that include both the fantasy aspect as well as some strong romance? Thanks!
Have you tried House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas? It looks like you like her writing, and that's my favorite of her books. Disclaimer: It has a lot of explicit language, a fair amount of sexual content and some violence. I wouldn't recommend it if those things bother you. Overall, the plot is really good and the romance is stunning. It also ends with a (relatively) happy ending while leaving enough of a cliffhanger for the sequel, so I'd definitely recommend it.
Nithilah Ayyappan

Michelle Menezes wrote: 01 May 2021, 06:52 If you like fantasy romance, try these authors: Grace Draven, Miranda Honfleur, K.M.Shea, Amanda Bouchet, Alisha Klapheke, Natalia Jaster, Clara C. Johnson. I have a few more, let me know if you want them.
Some of these authors do write smut, so if it bothers you, I'll give you recommendations with clean romance.
Great, thanks for all the recommendations!
Nithilah Ayyappan

Sohana Hasan wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 08:31
Nithilah Ayyappan wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 08:58 Hello, I've been quite obsessed with fantasy books recently, such as ACOTAR and ToG. I was wondering if anyone knew of books similar to these that include both the fantasy aspect as well as some strong romance? Thanks!
Have you tried House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas? It looks like you like her writing, and that's my favorite of her books. Disclaimer: It has a lot of explicit language, a fair amount of sexual content and some violence. I wouldn't recommend it if those things bother you. Overall, the plot is really good and the romance is stunning. It also ends with a (relatively) happy ending while leaving enough of a cliffhanger for the sequel, so I'd definitely recommend it.
No, I have yet to read that book but it sounds very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:

Nithilah Ayyappan wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 10:09
Michelle Menezes wrote: 01 May 2021, 06:52 If you like fantasy romance, try these authors: Grace Draven, Miranda Honfleur, K.M.Shea, Amanda Bouchet, Alisha Klapheke, Natalia Jaster, Clara C. Johnson. I have a few more, let me know if you want them.
Great, thanks for all the recommendations!
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy them if you decide to read them.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

Nithilah Ayyappan wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 10:10
Sohana Hasan wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 08:31
No, I have yet to read that book but it sounds very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!
You're welcome! You might also want to try something by Tamora Pierce. Her series "The Song of the Lioness" has a slow-burn romance and is set in a fantasy world of political intrigue and danger. It wasn't really my thing, but you might like them. The first book of the series isAlanna: The First Adventure.
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:

The Tainted Accords series by Kelly St. Clare. Poison Study series by Maria V. Snyder, The Sharpened Axe by Jill M. Beene.
Little_Lotte
Currently Reading: Rimas
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-lotte.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Little_Lotte »

I would like to know more authors please! and the titles you recommend, I don't mind the smut, thanks!
maramsp
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by maramsp »

Bit late to the party here, but to me, the sword of truth series have some very strong romance as well, but sometimes not in the way of how a normal romance plays out, but to say that more in detail would be spoilers, so i refrain from that :)
Anyways, any book that focus on Richard and Kahlan, you'll read how much they love each other, and how they struggle to live a normal life and act upon that love. But the love between them, is whats keeps the books going as well :)
Kidd Essence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kidd-essence.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Kidd Essence »

It's somewhat of an unknown series but the Phantom Island Collection by Krissi Dallas is a great fantasy story with much romance. I'm anxiously waiting for what I believe will be the fifth book of the series. If you're interested in love triangles and fantasy worlds, I'd highly recommend you read them.
Marisol Mendez
Currently Reading: Milk and Honey
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisol-mendez.html
Latest Review: Wandering Feelings by Boyko Ovcharov

Post by Marisol Mendez »

I think you would love any book series written by Cassandra Clare!
Aly Smith
Currently Reading: Stone of Gabriel
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Aly Smith »

One of my favorite series is the Trudi Cavanan series Black Magician series. The original trilogy has an amazing love story, but it gets better with the second trilogy that takes place 20 years after. An old enemy comes back with a love story that you never expect!
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cátia Rato »

If you have the time, read An Ember in the Ashes. It's a 4-book series and it is... it's so pretty, so well written! It's amazing. If you do give it a go, please give me feedback, I would love to hear your thoughts about it!
Preye I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preye-i.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Preye I »

This novel has fantasy but it's main focus is a murder mystery. I don't know if that is what you are looking for. But it is called All These Bodies by Kendare Blake. And not only does it have a slow burn romance it is unexpected.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”