Anyone who can recommend a good cultural book?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
anoushka_thakur
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Anyone who can recommend a good cultural book?

Post by anoushka_thakur »

I want to read a book that discusses various cultural stories. Fiction/Non- fiction any book that portrays culture in an interesting way!
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

audreads
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by audreads »

Hello Anousha_Thakur!

This is such an interesting recommendation request! I've actually been trying to diversify my reads and include more cultures, so I have some that might interest you:

Fiction:
-Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram - showcases Iranian culture from the point of view of a teen boy struggling with his identity and depression.
-Severance by Ling Ma - showcases Chinese culture in a semi-post-apocalyptic America with flashbacks to childhood memories in China
-A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard - British Deaf culture as depicted through two teens (one who is selectively mute and the other who is Deaf) falling in love
-The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon - Korean American and Jamaican American culture coming together as two teens fall in love the day before the latter is to be deported to Jamaica, a country she's "from" but has never been to
-My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite - set in Nigeria and follows two sisters, one who has a penchant for murdering her boyfriends in what she claims to be self-defense and the other who helps her clean up, but also fears that her sister may be going after the man she's been in love with
-The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani - a translated novel set in France following a wealthy family who hires a nanny to look after their children only for some suspicious things to start happening as the nanny and the family grow closer

Non-Fiction:
-From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty - a mortician travels across the world, learning about and recounting to the reader how various cultures handle the dying, dead, and grief
-The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism by Naoki Higashida - a translated memoir from a thirteen-year-old Japanese boy sharing his experience with having a non-verbal form of autism
-The Girl with Seven Names: A North Korean's Defector Story by Hyeonseo Lee - a translated memoir from a North Korean woman who escaped her country to gain freedom, but in doing so, left behind her family; after decades of passing for Chinese in China, she decides to embark on a mission to rescue her family and bring them to South Korea

Hope you find one you like, though I should mention that most of these deal with heavier topics, so if you're someone who needs trigger warnings, I would recommend you look them up beforehand. Happy reading!

rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by rik17 »

audreads wrote: ‚ÜĎ
10 Jul 2020, 17:25
Hello Anousha_Thakur!

This is such an interesting recommendation request! I've actually been trying to diversify my reads and include more cultures, so I have some that might interest you:

Fiction:
-Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram - showcases Iranian culture from the point of view of a teen boy struggling with his identity and depression.
-Severance by Ling Ma - showcases Chinese culture in a semi-post-apocalyptic America with flashbacks to childhood memories in China
-A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard - British Deaf culture as depicted through two teens (one who is selectively mute and the other who is Deaf) falling in love
-The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon - Korean American and Jamaican American culture coming together as two teens fall in love the day before the latter is to be deported to Jamaica, a country she's "from" but has never been to
-My Sister the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite - set in Nigeria and follows two sisters, one who has a penchant for murdering her boyfriends in what she claims to be self-defense and the other who helps her clean up, but also fears that her sister may be going after the man she's been in love with
-The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani - a translated novel set in France following a wealthy family who hires a nanny to look after their children only for some suspicious things to start happening as the nanny and the family grow closer

Non-Fiction:
-From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty - a mortician travels across the world, learning about and recounting to the reader how various cultures handle the dying, dead, and grief
-The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism by Naoki Higashida - a translated memoir from a thirteen-year-old Japanese boy sharing his experience with having a non-verbal form of autism
-The Girl with Seven Names: A North Korean's Defector Story by Hyeonseo Lee - a translated memoir from a North Korean woman who escaped her country to gain freedom, but in doing so, left behind her family; after decades of passing for Chinese in China, she decides to embark on a mission to rescue her family and bring them to South Korea

Hope you find one you like, though I should mention that most of these deal with heavier topics, so if you're someone who needs trigger warnings, I would recommend you look them up beforehand. Happy reading!
Thank you so much audreads for this long and detailed list!

Disquisitive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disquisitive.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by Disquisitive »

For a great cultural book, I recommend the crime fiction novel Second Sister by Chan Ho-Kei, translated into English by Jeremy Tiang. It's set in Hong Kong, and I found the cultural background fascinating. The book is about a young woman whose younger sister dies. Her death looks like suicide - but is it?

The book vividly depicts everyday life in Hong Kong, which I found very interesting. The exciting plot also made it very memorable detective novel.

Return to ‚ÄúPersonalized Reading Recommendations‚ÄĚ