Does anyone have a good suggestion for a 9 year old?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
EvelynBlake
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelynblake.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
fav_author_id: 3586

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a 9 year old?

Post by EvelynBlake »

Hi! :-) I have decided to start a new tradition - to give books on Christmas Eve. I saw a meme about it a couple of years ago and thought it sounded fun.

I'd like to use it as an opportunity to introduce my son to books that we will enjoy reading together, but he might not necessarily pick up himself.

We have read The Hobbit, Harry Potter, His Dark Material, How to Train Your Dragon, Narnia and most of the Edge Chronicles.
What can I pick next?
mdrowns7
Currently Reading: Junie B. Jones # - Has a Peep in Her Pocket
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdrowns7.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by mdrowns7 »

My Grandson has books written by James Patterson, it is the "Whimpy Kid" series. He loves these books and it encourages him to read more. Another series he has is "The Borrowers" and e enjoys them just as much. Check them out I think that would be a great present.
I have given my grandchildren (14 of them) books for also every holiday or event since the day of their birth. It encourages them to read and use their imaginations. Even before they can read, others can read the books to them and it helps them to learn the art of reading and using their imaginations. Gets them ready for school and studying.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Hi! I think you could look into the Artemis Fowl series, by Eoin Colfer. Also, Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle, if he likes dragons.
bookish_babe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bookish_babe »

Hi! See if you can still order copies of "The Hardy Boys" and "The Three Investigators."
teresao
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teresao.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by teresao »

I like reading books by Kate DiCamillo with my kids. We've read Because of Winn-Dixie, and The Tale of Despereaux. I'd like to also read The Tiger Rising and The Magician's Elephant, but I haven't actually read those ones yet, so I can't say how good they are, although we've all really liked her other books so far.
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

Post by melissah30 »

When I was that age, I loved The Series of Unfortunate Events! It's really great because even though he uses a larger vocabulary than what a typical elementary school kid would know, he always explains what the bigger words mean. Plus if you're into reading and then watching, Netflix made a tv series on it. It's been like 15 years since I read the books, so Im not sure how close the show is to the books, but I know it's much better than the movie with Jim Carry
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

Have you bought any non-fiction books on the world and how it works... earthquakes, volcanoes etc, that sort oof thing? Mine loved them.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
Lee-Ann20
Currently Reading: Lovely War
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-ann20.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Lee-Ann20 »

The Brotherband Chronicles, Ranger's Apprentice, Percy Jackson series, and the I Survived books
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

My boy LOVED the Percy Jackson series.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

For stuff he can read, how about Magic Treehouse by Mary Pope? My kiddo and I love reading those! I also want to read the Land of Stories series by Chris Colfer.
Saranicegirladjdj

Post by Saranicegirladjdj »

:D when I was 9, I loved the My weird school books and the Geronimo Stilton series. They are easy and fun!
Lee-Ann20
Currently Reading: Lovely War
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-ann20.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Lee-Ann20 »

The I Survived series, Goosebumps, Redwall
Cleis
Favorite Book: Garments Against Women
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indepaintence.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Cleis »

My little brother is 10 and just devoured the Percy Jackson series. He also loves graphic novels, like the Legend of Zelda series, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. What a great tradition!
talubi42

Post by talubi42 »

i and my little sister love diary of wimpy kid and we are looking for more of it
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

No particular books, but something I liked doing with my kids was get a toy of characters or events in the story. We had knights, dragons, and castles, or a toy ship or made a raft. Things like that.

For non-fiction, it would be a toy or experiment, equipment they could build with. So for a book of geography and volcanoes, we made our own volcano, and we made maps of rivers and countries with play-doh. Or we would go to the place in the story, or a place with something similar.

I liked them seeing the relation between what they read and what the world has. Or can be imagined to have.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”