Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by SparklesonPages »

I always do the books first and I am almost always disappointed. There are the exceptions though in Game of Thrones, The Hobbit and the Harry Potter movies(most).
Diggory123
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diggory123.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by Diggory123 »

Personally, I find that the book is usually better than the film. So if I haven't read the book already and the film is out, then i'll watch the film first. This way I don't get disappointed by the film as I have nothing to compare it to yet and when I read the book I find that I can still enjoy it due the differences between book and film, and that I also have a better mental image of whats going because I have seen the film.
Stefop18
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stefop18 »

I feel you should always read the book first then watch the movie, because the book will give you a lot more information. The movie leaves out a lot information.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I always want to read the book first
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

I always prefer to read the book first. The pictures I see in my head are always better than the film version which is really just someone else's visions.
Izzy-may

Post by Izzy-may »

Book, film, then book again
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

It depends. But in most cases I always tend to read the book first. Usually, the film adaptations always suck with small exceptions of course.
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Always the book first. My enjoyment of the book is only limited by two factors; the author's hand and my imagination as opposed to movies. To get the greatest pleasure I read the book first, avoiding any possible taint from the adaptation to film process. Then, I can watch the movie. It's like taking desert after a delicious full course meal; it's awesome if the desert is great but if it's not, I'm still fine.
Selisha22
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Selisha22 »

From my personal perspective I would rather read the book first because books are very detailed and descriptive. You get a more panoramic feel of what the author is thinking or feeling. Movies are great, but you don't really get too much in-depth analysis of what the characters in a story line is thinking at a particular point in the story. Sometimes the movie will also leave out certain details from the book and can be disappointing. One example I have had recently that I can draw from is that of the E.L James novel 'Fifty Shades of Grey' series, if you read it and watched the movies, you would have known that the movies didn't do justice to the actual book. If you haven't watched it as yet, I recommend reading the book before you watch the movies.
RLDunnAuthor
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by RLDunnAuthor »

Book first. Though i often find it disappointing when the movie doesn't live up to the book.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

The movie first. Since it requires less time commitment and I can make myself a good overall idea of the whole thing, I can better assess whether or not the book will be of my interest. Also, I avoid this way the classic disappointment sensation when the movie falls short of the book.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

I always, always, always try to read the book before I see the movie. I feel that this way is better, because then the movie will not mess with your imagination. I have made a few exceptions to this rule, the most recent one I can think of being A Series of Unfortunate Events. I have not read those books, but I have watched the first season on Netflix. Also, I saw the movie How to Train Your Dragon before I read the books.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I prefer to read books first before seeing them in movie format, especially if I want to build my own perception of how a character is. It was amusing to hear character names being pronounced in the first Harry Potter when I saw it the first time, mainly because I had pronounced them a specific way for so long. When books are made into movie adaptations, screen plays try to adapt in ways that are more likely to connect to modern times versus when the books first came out. I would love to see a more recent adaptation of books like Moby Dick or Don Quixote, mainly because when I first tried reading them, they were hard to understand because of how wordy they were. Granted, I was in middle school so that might be a factor. If I were to reread them, I would have better luck understanding what was going on and not get lost.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
EmCas15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by EmCas15 »

I like to watch the movie forst, because I know already that the book will be much better. If I see the movie forst, then I'm not disappointed in what they did with it, and it's usually different enough that I can still enjoy the book. I actually love pointing out all of the different parts to my friends and compare what was done well vs what wasn't. For example, I watched all of the Maze Runner movies before I read any of the books. For those of you that have read the books and seen the movies, you know how vastly different the story is. With watching the movie first, I'm not emotionally attached to the story yet and I don't get frustrated with how they left things out or ruined everything. Then, I can be pleasantly surprised when the book takes a completely different turn.
Priyamvada

Post by Priyamvada »

I would prefer to read the book first. The book lays down the actual story but movies cook up some scenes of their own to add a spice to the story :techie-studyinggray: Although watching movies are more fun, but if you want originality, you should prefer a book, just as I do.

Return to “Films and Books”