Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Delioness »

For me, its more preferable to read the book first, then watch the movie since the latter is mostly a summary of the book. But most times the situation might be out of your control in that you don't get to choose the one you first come across. In cases like that, anyone works for me.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Well I often times see the movie before discovering it was made from a book. But if given the choice, I would watch the movie first, it usually has less information compared to the book. Should I read the book first, then am definitely going to be disappointed in the movie.
chriscan77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chriscan77.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by chriscan77 »

I definitely try to read the book first because we all know most of the time the book is much better than the movie!!
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I personally believe in reading the book first before seeing the movie. Normally, the book is better than the movie because of all of the details of the characters and all of the situations are present. You can learn the character backgrounds in books whereas most movies tend to skip those parts to move the plot along. It's understandable with movies that they cannot allow everything in there because of budgets and timing. But I feel to get a true sense of a story, it is best to read the book. When I saw the Harry Potter movies first and then read the books, it seemed like the movies were more of a summary of the books. You get more info reading than seeing the films.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I rarely watch films as I’m often disappointed by them, but I read The Martian and loved it so much that I wanted to see the film as a way of getting more. It was a great film and kept very close to the book with a little artistic licence.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Ogolla23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ogolla23 »

IG there was a book of the movie I'd go for the book first because I'd like my imagination to go wild first before viewing the directors imagination and secondly I believe the book has more information than the movie
beccademon

Post by beccademon »

I love to read the books first, just because books were what I grew up with, not movies
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

I find the movie versions of the book a bit shallow so I prefer reading the book first and then watching the movie.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
Eniefiok Goodnews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eniefiok-goodnews.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Eniefiok Goodnews »

Book first
j-rojas2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by j-rojas2018 »

Book First Always... Is very funny to see movies, but the time you spend in love with a book is magical, nothing compares to that
rose19883
Currently Reading:

Post by rose19883 »

Book first always the movies every once in a while are better but it depends cause if you see the movie first and its bad then you probably wouldn't want to read the book when the book could be better. :)
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

I prefer book first because if I see the movie first then I'm no longer interested in reading the book after.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Hmm... good question. I guess I'll read the book first and then see the movie and more thank likely end up disappointed.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
enojojoseph
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enojojoseph.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by enojojoseph »

i prefer to read the a before watching its movie, as its more descriptive and exciting than the main movie.Example of such books include Congo by Micheal Crichton.
Taurus_27496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taurus-27496.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Taurus_27496 »

I'd prefer reading the book before watching it's film adaptation as it lets the reader visualise every element; the scenery, characters, scenes, etc.

Return to “Films and Books”