Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
lilac_coquelicot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by lilac_coquelicot »

I like reading books.Books are good friends.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Book first , always! I started this after I read the harry potter book after seeing the first movie. Since then, I read the book first and then the movie. I mean, harry potter movies are good, but the books were written on a whole different level if awesome.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

It depends on the book. Most times I will read the book first if it is fantasy genre, but just regular fiction I tend to watch the movie first. Very rarely will I read a book if I have seen the movie first, because I know i'll be nit picking the entire time. The Fault in Our Stars was one of my few exceptions.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Cowgirl87
Currently Reading: A Police Action
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Cowgirl87 »

Well watching a movie is fun . I rather read the book instead of watching the movie first
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I try to read the book first. Then the movie is easier to follow. It's already interesting to see how the movie differs from the book
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I prefer to read the book first, as it provides you with the opportunity to imagine all the characters and understand the complete storyline because although the movie tends to be close sometimes it leaves out important scenes that help to understand the story, such as in some of the Harry Potter movies.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I usually just do the one that gets to me first which most of the time is usually the movie then I sometimes feel the need to look for the book and read it.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
tejaspatil1991
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tejaspatil1991 »

I generally examine the ebook first. But sometimes after I do, the film is disappointing, Except as a person said, LOTR, and The Dirty Dozen. I study The Godfather and it became one of the high-quality books I ever read. When I noticed the movie I changed into truly disappointed in it.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Always, book first! I love visualizing the characters and the scenes through the authors eyes. It is only after finishing the book that I deicide if I want to see the movie.
JenJen13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by JenJen13 »

I personally like to read the book first and then watch the movie that way I can compare notes and see how they differ and how they are the same. I also find myself being curious as how the book or the movie is going to end because sometimes directors re-write or they have their own version or spin to a plot in which they believe the movie or the book should have ended. Also I sometimes feel that the book gives you more information in detail as to what is going on with a plot. As opposed to movies where the director only has so much time to tell the whole story and sometimes has to leave out a lot.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

This depends but if I'm aware that a movie is coming out and it's based on a book then the book will get read before the movie. There is this one movie that I saw some years ago but didn't know it was based on a book till recently; I was still young at the time. Since the movie was seen first, the reading of it's novel counterpart isn't going as smoothly as I would like.

Book/Movie in question: Relic by Lincoln and Child
Madamnzxc
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Madamnzxc »

I think its best to watch the movie first because when you read the book first you have the tendency to expect certain events that are excluded in the movie. Such as in the Harry Potter series, there are a lot of scenes in the book that are excludede from the movie.
onemorechap
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onemorechap.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B014GCG150

Post by onemorechap »

Definitely book first! I actually don't see a movie if I plan toread the book, until I read the said book! Otherwise it feels like extra spoilers, than the other way round 0:)
Kimii200123
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Kimii200123 »

For me it's the book first and then the movie. I'm not opposed to read the book after I have seen the movie, but I certainly like it more if I still have the chance to imagine things my way. Like if you've seen the movie you already have a certain image of how the characters look like. And I also appreciate the details most of the books bring with them.
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.”
—Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Mary Alex
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mary Alex »

Always book first then movie.
Most of the time once i've watched the movie, i find it quite hard to read the book.
i like my imagination to take the lead. 8)

Return to “Films and Books”