Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Agatha Bushguy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-bushguy.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Agatha Bushguy »

Christabel Egbeama wrote: 12 Jul 2022, 00:45 Book first before the movie. Once you see the movie first, you have automatically lost the personal visualization card. Whenever you read about a character, you can't help but remember the character used in the movie. (In short, the movie robs the luxury of creating a picture of the scenery and characters in your mind).
I understand where you are coming from, but aren't you scared that the desire to watch the movie will disappear?
kajalk28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kajalk28 »

I have to read the book first, it lets me imagine everything by myself. The characters, the flow of dialogue, the world building, all of that is my own fun to create the film in my head. When I see the movie it is still enjoyable, however I still can hold onto that original image I had whereas if I saw the film first, I wouldn't be able to think for myself. I feel personally there are very few books that were adapted into accurate representative films, I have an example of a great one below.

My favorite book of all time has to be, hands down, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I read the book first and I absolutely loved it!!! This book is so comforting and provides a beautiful subtle nostalgia to those who weren't even around during the 90's when it takes place. Later on after finishing the novel, I watched the movie, and it has to be one of the best film adaptations I've ever seen! I think part of that has to be credited to the fact that the author directed the film, and so although some major plot points were missing (as expected, you can't fit everything from a novel into a book) it still truly captured the feelings, warmth, and spirit of the book! :)
kajalk28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kajalk28 »

I have to read the book first, it lets me imagine everything by myself. The characters, the flow of dialogue, the world building, all of that is my own fun to create the film in my head. When I see the movie it is still enjoyable, however I still can hold onto that original image I had whereas if I saw the film first, I wouldn't be able to think for myself. I feel personally there are very few books that were adapted into accurate representative films, I have an example of a great one below.

My favorite book of all time has to be, hands down, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I read the book first and I absolutely loved it!!! This book is so comforting and provides a beautiful subtle nostalgia to those who weren't even around during the 90's when it takes place. Later on after finishing the novel, I watched the movie, and it has to be one of the best film adaptations I've ever seen! I think part of that has to be credited to the fact that the author directed the film, and so although some major plot points were missing (as expected, you can't fit everything from a novel into a book) it still truly captured the feelings, warmth, and spirit of the book! :)
sarah melis
Favorite Book: The Spanish Love Deception
Currently Reading: That Night
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by sarah melis »

I find when I watch the movie first I’m not interested in reading the book for it. But when I read the book first, watching the movie afterwards is like all the characters coming to life and seeing what the author thought each character looked like compared to what I thought.
Le-nic Pretorius
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-nic-pretorius.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Le-nic Pretorius »

I always read the book first to see how the movie holds up to the book. Sometimes the actors in movies do not match the characters in the book (in my opinion anyway). The book is better most of the time.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Definitely the book! It has way more details and information, it isn't packed into a 2hour movie, gets your imagination going in creating the looks of the settings and characters, etc.

I am always curious when I read a book first and the movie comes out, how my imagination's looks and ideas compare to the cast and movie created.
Yolandamontanoa
Currently Reading: Perfume The Story of a Murderer
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Yolandamontanoa »

Hello,
I just found this post from eleven years ago but I would still like to say my thoughts :lol2:

I definitely read the book first, sometimes I even postpone watching a movie if I realize it is based on a book
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Henry Patrovic »

The book first, because in films they often leave out small details, that I wouldn’t want to miss.
mercy_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by mercy_01 »

Always book first
By reading the book it give you more insight and detail that watching the movie does not do. Sometimes movies are edited and certain events are cut out, but when you read the book it gives you more detail.
Reading the book first also allows you to imagine how things are as opposed to someone imagination.

I Always recommend reading before watching
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Flora Posh »

I like to read books first, it gives me a wider and better understanding compared to watching the movie first. Most movies always leave something to be desired anyway so reading works better
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Tetiana Palas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Tetiana Palas »

I prefer reading the book over seeing the movie. It’s more interesting.
HanWhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanwhite.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by HanWhite »

Absolutely book first for me! If I see the movie first I get stuck with what the actors and actresses looked like, whereas if I read the book first I have the freedom to imagine everything exactly how I want.
Marjenmom17
Favorite Book: The Traitor's Kiss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marjenmom17.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Marjenmom17 »

For me it depends on the genre. If it is sci-fi/fantasy or mystery I definitely want to read the book(s) first. If the genre is romance or drama, I'd rather see the movie first because I have no idea when I'd get around to reading the book.
Lacompan
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Lacompan »

Im into book first person because 2-3 hrs movies cant encapsulate the things said in the book.
Ruthhagar Tsikata
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Alpaca In The Backa’ My Car
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthhagar-tsikata.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ruthhagar Tsikata »

Most movies are produced out of books so ideally you get to read the book before seeing the movie and most scripts are different from books so I prefer books first for originality.

Return to “Films and Books”