Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Riszell »

Book first. :techie-studyinggray:
NnWillsons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnwillsons.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by NnWillsons »

I prefer to read the book first because I feel like books take a little longer(for me) to read than watching the movie and I enjoy having the suspense more drawn out.
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

-Dauntless Manifesto
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

I think watching the movie first can help with imagining the book in your head. In class, I like to show my students small clips of a movie before we read that certain part of a novel. They love the clips and it's easier for them to picture what's happening. I'm almost always disappointed in the movie if I read the book first.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
Chi_pego
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chi-pego.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Chi_pego »

I think reading the book first is a better idea than seeing the movie first. I believe the reason we love stories is because they give us a form of escape. A book would have less limits on your imagination and it's always fun to compare what you imagined with the movie, but if you watched the movie first when you get to the book you would already have something in mind of the set and characters and there would be no room for imagination. Where's the fun in that? :|
BlessednLucky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BlessednLucky »

Depends -- some movies, like "Unleashed" are better served by the movie format. Books like "Mystic River" could go either way, brilliant in both formats. Books / Stories like those created by Kafka or Herman Hesse, definitely stick with book form, they just wouldn't work visually.
dakotadf02

Post by dakotadf02 »

I enjoy reading the book before I watch the movie. The book gives unseen details that are not presented in the movie. The movie can not include every detail from the book or it will be too long. When the author writes they leave it you to your imagination to preserve the small elements and details they were not specific about. The author taps into the thoughts of each character. It shows how they react to everything that occurs in the book. When the movie is shown you don't know what the characters are thinking until it is verbally stated. In my opinion, reading the book is better than watching the movie because it leaves the detail unto your imagination.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I almost always mean to read the book first, but often enough I just don't get around to it and end up seeing the movie first. :/
Shahzaib Hussain
Currently Reading: Final Notice

Post by Shahzaib Hussain »

Getting the words outta book and watching them live as characters is quiet fascinating . Books First for sure
_mylilyotv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by _mylilyotv »

I always read the books first - they're 9 time out of 10 better than the film and include so much that the film has left out!
Juanita Tischendorf

Post by Juanita Tischendorf »

No contest. You need to read the book first and then see the movie. The book lets you learn what the author wanted you to learn about the characters and the setting. The movie may need to adjust that so the movie might be another version of the book. READ THE BOOK FIRST. Enjoy the movie later.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

I definitely enjoy reading the book first. I like to have the freedom to imagine the characters as I choose, as opposed to who the director of the movie casts.

When I started reading Harry Potter, the movies weren't out yet and I imagined myself as Hermione Granger. When the movies came out, I only pictured Emma Watson.
zoharis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198

Post by zoharis »

Book first.
If I really loved the book I'll avoid the movie because there's a 95% it'll disappoint me.
squeeksmom2006

Post by squeeksmom2006 »

Always books first. Read Lone Survivor and could only make it through a chapter or two at a time. Pillow was wet with my tears. Hated going to see Mark Walburg as Marcus but surprisingly did a good job and then I spotted Marcus as a supporting member. The movie was good but the book so much better. :)
abeerashafique98

Post by abeerashafique98 »

Read the book first for a better understanding and insight of the movie. Book is like 100% and movie is only the half of it dont miss the intricate details by watching the movie first and then realizing later while reading the book
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

My default is Lord of the Rings books vs. movies. I loved the books but I loved the movies too. In such a case they were equally good.
Harry Potter on the other hand books were definitely better. Although I know of persons who have never read the books for both series so they can't ever compare them.
I guess it depends on personal preference. Sometimes I watch the Lord of the Rings movies over the books and sometimes I read the books instead.

Return to “Films and Books”