Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Jacoline32
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Jacoline32 »

There is a difference in each and every book and movie, if you read a book you make design and make everything the way your mind wants to. To read the book first you see and feel all the detail in your mind and experience everything how you want it. A movie is from a different point of view which ,to me i like to see how other people see and feel the book . A movie cant always have all the details . A book is your mind your choice and you can get lost in it a movie you have to observe and focus , not always as good as a book but hay they try...
WingTaken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wingtaken.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by WingTaken »

Movie. Simply because Books are almost always better than the films. So, if you see the film and you are disappointed, you can rely on the fact that the book will be better. If you are amazed by the film, you can go over to the book and while reading, you will be filled with even more excitement since you recognize structures and characters and you can get deeper into the story since books allow more leeway to add precise descriptions, or backstory, or thoughts, which is extremely helpful.
That's my take on the question and it's what I realized in 7th grade (I think) when we watched Percy Jackson in Latin class and I got to read the books a little later. The film was awesome to me back then, and it prompted me to get invested in the books, and when I look back, my whole perception towards the film has changed so that I was blown away by the story two times and can now pick my favorite without feeling disappointed or let down by the film. (I mean, of course, I'd like to have great and accurate Percy Jackson films, but now I have the books.)
Emmsong
Currently Reading: Friends
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Emmsong »

I would prefer to read the book first before seeing the movie because there would surely be missing events from the book in the movies. I.E the movie is not always complete as the book. The book rules over the movie.
Ami_Violet
Currently Reading: #staymarried
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ami_Violet »

I definitely watch the movie first. but I feel like it's always a version of the book - a creative adaptation to the screen, but the real story is in the book, and if I watch the movie and don't care for it, I tend to assume the book will be more enjoyable.
TEECEE33

Post by TEECEE33 »

Book first.

The Book carries all important details. A movie afterwards will just make the book alive.
mosero
Currently Reading: Bud by the Grace of God
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mosero.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by mosero »

Any can do. I prefer book first then the movie most of the time. Though if I don't understand the book I'd choose movie first.
Coychino72

Post by Coychino72 »

I would like to read the book first so I can see what the movie left out because most of the time the movie leave most of the plot out.
writtenbetweenthelin
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by writtenbetweenthelin »

If I know that there is a book, I read before watching... but if I don'the know, I simply read after watching... after all I don't think about movie and book telling the same story, they after reading always a little different... book and movie are always telling their own story, never the same...
SLD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SLD »

Book first, definitely. Fun to see how close the characters created from much imagination are to the ones on screen.
Philippians 4:8
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

Usually I've already read the book and am excited when it finally gets turned into a movie, so I don't get a choice. However, I think if I could, I would watch the movie first. If you've already read the book, you have some idea of what the movie should be and what's going to happen. This is always sad since I've never seen a movie come close to leaving in/sticking to the book and half of what gets left out are some of my favorite parts. When they get it wrong, they get it unforgivably wrong. "Dumbledore said *calmly*" ring any bells? If I hadn't read the book first, I wouldn't have been ready to attack the screen the first time I saw the movie since I wouldn't know the director completely ruined the scene.
Lynsaysamson31
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsaysamson31.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Lynsaysamson31 »

I always try to read first. Then when i watch the movie I pick it apart savagely. "That wasn't in the book" Or "they've changed that from the book". 😂
Mimislife2001

Post by Mimislife2001 »

I prefer first to read the book , if they have . Second the film . :)
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I prefer to read the book first because my creativity in imaging the characters and the scenes is hindered if I see the movie. I can't get the image of the actors out of my head if I've seen the movie already. I also tend to make what's happening in the book fit with what I saw in the movie, even when they don't exactly align. Again this is where my own creativity is put on the back burner.

However, if I do see the movie first (maybe not knowing it is based on a book), if the movie is really good or at least the concept of the story is, I will definitely be drawn to the book. I have had on my reading list for ages The Martian (absolutely loved the movie) and I Am Legend. There is no way the main characters will not look like Matt Damon and Will Smith in my head when I read them though!
TPT

Post by TPT »

With me I tend to watch the movies before reading the books. The movies always seem to break away from most of the books' plotlines so if I ever decide to watch a movie based on a book I always go movie first so I can appreciate it more for itself than subconsciously pointing out everywhere that's completely different from the original.

It's often times better for me to be surpised at all the extra things I learn from the books themselves that weren't portrayed in the movies than be disappointed the movies didn't portray the little tidbits and plot points in the books.

^^
angelaruth28

Post by angelaruth28 »

I usually watch the movie first but I do end up reading the book and in my opinion they are both good because I can pick out what's in the movie and not in book and vice versa

Return to “Films and Books”