Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by nfdoughe »

I prefer to read a book and then see the movie if it's a story I'm truly interested in. If I see a movie that's based on a book, I'm less likely to go back and read it. I think of the book as the true story and the movie as an adaptation, so it makes more sense to me to read and then watch. It provides a better context to judge and understand the movie.
Syson Dolph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syson-dolph.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Syson Dolph »

At one time, I first read and watched the book and movie great expectations respectively. My trouble was in relating the two. The way feelings are portrayed in writing is different from the way they portrayed by humans via acting. While I am watching a movie, my eyes, ears and concentration are required. While I am reading, my eyes and concentration are the only required. In my case I would rather watch the movie first, and then use the book for reference.
Julia Kraft
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Julia Kraft »

I read the book first in most cases. When I read the Hunger Games Series, it was really good!!! The movie was such a let down, I was disappointed with it. They left out some priceless events that occurred in the book! If I had watched the movie first, I wouldn’t have read the book.

That’s my intake.
Rzl19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rzl19 »

Well books first because as what we all believe, "Books are better than the movie itself".If you already read the book you can set your favorite scenes or the most appealing scene in the book and compare to its movie adaption.
Javisetty Veeraiah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Javisetty Veeraiah »

I will pick book first. After finishing the book by watching the movie based on the book, I can enjoy the movie because due to less duration narration will be definitely changed and background score and visual effects will make huge difference than my imagination. But after watching movie reading the book with similar means it won't be excitement. While reading the pages, unintentionally will struck in the scenes from the movie.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

If I want to enjoy the movie, I'd go for movie first, as when I read the book first I can't cease comparing between both and I end up criticising the movie more than I should.
JaimeAlfonzo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaimealfonzo.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JaimeAlfonzo »

shanson1 wrote: 21 Mar 2014, 00:49 Personally, I love to read any book long before there is any talk about a movie. A real good book is such a treasure, especially when you believe no one has ever really heard of it. Saying this has me recall a time, in what seems to be so long ago now, when I was a freshman in High school. Being new on campus, and not having any "claimed spot" to relax in between periods, I found sanctuary at the school's library. While being there, slowly running my gaze across the spines of books, I found myself reaching for an interesting looking cover called The Reader, by Bernhard Schlink. The last book I had taken the time to read before Bernhard, had been back in Junior High when I was an eighth grader, and to be honest that was quite frankly a juvenile kids book compared to the world that Bernhard had written. I had read books slowly back then, and used to get frustrated on how long it took, but in this case I had really not minded the time it took to get lost in the imagery that was within The Reader. After finishing that book, I had a very different appreciation for the many different genres that graced shelves in bookstores and libraries.
Now, back to the topic at hand. Years later, in 2008, I see the opening movie trailer based off the very book that had comforted my time as a new comer in High school. I was aghast, thinking no one has ever heard of it, let alone remembered it. Perhaps that was the reason it was chosen. I had decided to see it, and though greatly excited, was sadly disappointed at how dull, lifeless, and unattached it was compared to the precious words Bernhard had taken the time to envision and express.
This is but only the first memory of many other books and movies that I had read and watched. And it has led me to refrain from watching any movie that has been remade from a favorite book I've read. I still refuse to watch any of the Charles Bukowski's movies. I'm too much in love with his words.
I beg your pardon, but there are more that one Bukowski's film? Other than Barfly?
JaimeAlfonzo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaimealfonzo.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JaimeAlfonzo »

I believe the right order should be movie first then the book. I like to have the best at last! I don't known any film that is better than the original book.
Sarahkay21+
Currently Reading: Inertia
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Sarahkay21+ »

Book usually the book is way better than the movie and when you watch theovienits disappointing
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

In my opinion the book should be read before.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I would definitely go book first, but that doesn’t always happen
:-)
-Thea M. Frederick
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

Definitely book first!
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html

Post by leximutia »

It depends. I usually prefer to read the book first, given that the book is typically much, much better than the movie. But sometimes, I'll watch the movie first and enjoy it separate from any expectations I had from the book from which it was adapted.
SMAhmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smahmed.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by SMAhmed »

I prefer watching the movie first so I can enjoy it on its own. If I read the book first then my opinion of it will always color the movie whereas I don't have the same problem when I watch the movie first and read the book later.
Alphonsius
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphonsius.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Alphonsius »

For me it is book first and then movie. I feed my mind with the books and relax with movie.

Return to “Films and Books”