Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Jasel Anne
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Jasel Anne »

Its the book. You can see in movie but most the full story is in the book.
Njengnjoro
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Njengnjoro »

Book first because if the movie comes first, then the book has no chance.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I definitely read the book first. Even if I see previews for a movie beforehand, I still have to read it first. That stops me from seeing a lot of movies in theatres, because I refuse to do so. I try not to let the chosen characters, I have now seen, spoil me. I do the same if a book is turned into a television series.
Gabyap
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Gabyap »

50/50 for me
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by K_Robinson »

I like to read the book first as they are usually better in my head than on screen
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Eman Ali
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Eman Ali »

Book first,after that may watch the movie.
Aarondupont202
Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarondupont202.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aarondupont202 »

From personal experience I need to see the movie first. I tend to verbally critique every part of the movie that is different from the book. My wife does not like it. I will still read the book first if I get it first and am not planning on seeing the movie any time soon but if I know that I’m going to I will wait and watch the movie first.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

It doesn't really matter to me. I watched the Harry Potter movie first and that got me interested in the books. I was into the Hunger Games series even before it became a movie. I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy just to see if I was missing something in the movies. I was glad I watched the Maze Runner movie first; then I didn't have to waste my time on the book. And I'm still crossing my fingers for a Mistborn movie!
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

The book should always come first in my opinion! I wouldn't have it any other way! That way you can imagine the story in your head first and make it your own.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Book first. You get more out of the book, like a better connection with the characters than you do with a movie.
dawuddustin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dawuddustin »

Movie first because that's how I come to know there is such a book while doing the research about the movie
Melodic Moth 77
Favorite Author: G.K. Chesterton
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: The Silmarillion
Bookshelf Size: 21
fav_author_id: 5860

Post by Melodic Moth 77 »

I would suggest the book first. First, because a film provides one interpretation of the book(often a merging of the director's and author's vision). In a discussion among readers, a wealth of perspectives can be shared because of a book's ability to engage the reader on a personal level through imagination. The same might be said of a film, but the visual aspect plays strongly on the mind too, somewhat diminishing what the mind imagines. Second, seeing the film first might spoil the experience of a book! :cry: Lord of the Rings is a good example. Despite the monumental achievement of the films, a first-time reader of Tolkien introduced to middle-earth through the movies would find it difficult to imagine the characters without the faces of the film's cast. Our frequent exposure to LOTR via social media, etc., might create too much familiarity to truly engage with the book's story. Of course Tolkien's world is nigh inexhaustible, so even though I was introduced to the LOTR films first as a child(which upsets me somewhat), I will continue reading this fantasy masterpiece :techie-studyingbrown: So in summary, book first. Your experience will be enriched by how you engage with the novel personally :) This was just one example, but thought it might clarify best that way. Plus Tolkien is the bomb of world-builders. Ok, monologue through :no-spoil:
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

Typically I do one or the other but not both because they’re never the same but on rare occasion a movie will spark my interest in a book.
stanley219
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by stanley219 »

I would like to read the book first.I enjoy watching movie after reading the book.I can see how it turns out in the screen.So much things are omitted in the movie.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

It depends on which of the two I get my hands first, either the book or movie. Am cool with any

Return to “Films and Books”