Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Specialwoman22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Specialwoman22 »

I actually prefer to Read the book first because the movie usually takes a lot of details out of the story to give you a visual. But I have seen movies first and then read the book without "feeling some type of way".
Godez

Post by Godez »

I have high preference in movies as they generate critical thinking based on impossibilities and imaginations.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I usually try to read the book before I see the movie, but it sadly almost never happens that way.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Gingin1980
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Gingin1980 »

I would always read the book first if possible. I have found in the past once I have seen the movie, it has given everyone an identity so part of the pleasure in imagination is removed.

Often find though as been said, if I have read the book, often the movie lacks
Marianne]

Post by Marianne] »

I prefer reading book first because there are those details in the book which is not seen in the movie.
oceana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceana.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by oceana »

I try to read the book first but sometimes I won't know that their is a book to read and my mind just won't let me read it.
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

I am not sure. The movie is mostly very disappointing. So now do you watch the movie first and then read the book, and are disappointed because the movie does not meet the expectation. But even if you read the novel first, same conclusion. So then, what to do?
I am sure some movies does give justice to the book but they are few and far between.
shelidizel
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelidizel.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by shelidizel »

As much as movies thrill, book first man!! Books first.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I generally try to read the book first. Sometimes its financially easier to watch the movie first, however. Later I feel disappointed about the movies.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

Book first. Always book first for me as a general rule (I will admit that I have seen a few movies without reading the book first, e.g. The Hunger Games and War Horse, but because I didn't know at the time that there was a book), but I always want to see the movie afterward because I want to see someone else's interpretation and compare it to the original. Some movies are very good (LoTR), while others completely ruin them (Percy Jackson). But, as I tell my brother, the book is the original version of the story. The author is the final authority on the story itself, and any other version is someone else's interpretation. So I think it's very important to read the book first.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

The question is general. If you are going to ask a Business minded person like me, I'll do it with a book first. If the book sells out, then that's the right signal to do a movie. Because I have already created the fans. The best example is Harry Potter.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

Book first, but sometimes the film just happens to come first, maybe because I didn't know the book existed first (such as Never Let Me Go, or even Atonement). And I think these are such great films... I can imagine if I'd read the books first I'd have a few issues with how the films came out because of course, if you love the book you can be a bit fickle with how someone else decides to present it in film. I'm sure I would have found these films just 'good' instead of great. Whereas the books are always great, for me, if I read them before or after their film adaptation. So I see the value in not reading the book first, to let the film be judged on its own first impression.
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Usually I would say book first.... but not in the case of Jaws where a person should definitely watch the movie first!!!
Iphynaya

Post by Iphynaya »

Book first, I fancy my self as one of those who say "I read it first before it became a movie", but at the time I started GoT, I had no idea it was based on a book, when I did, I stopped watching just to read the books. Great decision
Not_half_so_happy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-not-half-so-happy.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Not_half_so_happy »

Books are way better than the movie adaptations because half the time the movies leave out cute details and sometimes whole characters.

Return to “Films and Books”