Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Christineegm
Favorite Book: And I Darken
Currently Reading: Love and Friendship
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christineegm.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Christineegm »

I try to make it a point to read the book first! Usually if it was recently adapted I will read the book first. However for older films and classics I do not follow this rule lol.
Amyb77
Favorite Book: Meditations to the other side
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Amyb77 »

I like to read the book first, then see how many details they leave out in the movie.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I usually watch the movie first so that I can enjoy it without nitpicking. However, there are some cases where I will read the book first, but that is usually before the movie is even announced.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Vefu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vefu »

Definitely, the first should be a book. Once I watched the movie "The Game of the Ender", I liked the film very much, I was crazy about it. But then I learned that the film was to be taken down by the motives of the book, and was very upset as a film after reading this book. The same story with the series "The Magicians" and especially saddened the story with the series "The Game of Thrones", in particular in the "love" scenes, because it would be very much like that they would be recreated more accurately and taken to shooting actors hotter as
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

An age old question and important. The answer is simple: the book. Why you may ask? Because a book is almost always going to be more detailed then a movie in regards to story and character development. the one thing a book has issue with is it can sometimes lack feeling. Movies help with that because they create an atmosphere with visuals and soundtrack.
But with a movie you wouldnt get the full breadth of the story and characters. So the atmosphere is lost on you.
aimy869

Post by aimy869 »

book first because you will feel what the author was feeling when he or she wrote the book,and the book will be complete on like the movie that some scenes are cut
J_D_Allen
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by J_D_Allen »

I find it easier to read the book first then watch the movie then both will tell the same story which is very exciting especially if it's a really done story.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I always read the book first. There have been many times where I've put off watching a movie in the cinema so that I can read the book first! I like to make comparisons (generally I find the books are better than the films but there are always exceptions)
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Olivia Grace
Currently Reading: Happiness is All We Want!
Bookshelf Size: 310

Post by Olivia Grace »

Book first, that way you can complain about the movie doesn't do it justice :) haha
nnadi+_1

Post by nnadi+_1 »

I always love to watch the movie first just to give me an insight of what the book is all about. I did so with Romeo and Juliet and reading the book was a walkover because I already knew what the end was like.
Runningmama
Currently Reading: Passion
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Runningmama »

Book, always! I am so disappointed when I see a movie and then find out it was based on a book.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

I'd advise reading the book first, there's more information and you can decide how the characters turn out before the movie. the movie is usually very limiting.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Altaf 782

Post by Altaf 782 »

Book reading is very important in those days :techie-reference: because book reading is very interesting and safe. If you read books then you are safe from a number of wrong things and your attitude is well but if you give a most time to movies then you are always mentally unstable.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I typically try to read the book first, as some times movie makers change age, sex, etc for the cinematic version. Once I get that person in my mind as the character, it makes it harder to envision them in the books.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I always try to read the book first because I would understand it better. And knowing the details in a deeper level while watching is like knowing a secret that people who only watch the movie don't know.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

Return to “Films and Books”