Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Definitely book first. Although I sometime discover the movie first. There's a lot of good books translated into bad movies. And if I watch the movie first the actors playing the characters stick in my mind and while reading the book, the performance of those actors and scenes from the movie keep popping in my mind! It's sometimes annoying especially if it was a bad performance.
IffahRezali
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by IffahRezali »

Most of the time, I watch movie first and then proceed with the books because I didn't own the books. In my humble opinion, it's much better and preferable to read first then watch the movie. Just exactly when I read "The Perks of Being Wallflower" which I don't really like the ending in the book, it turned out I like the movie! The imagination about the characters and their features I created during skimming through the books will later help me compare the story line of the movie because most movies are adapted from books. There are some other books I read and I can't remember which; all in all, read first, movie second.
whoisaida

Post by whoisaida »

Movie first, books later ;)

Because movies are just a brief of what happens and they only show the important key messages that they want to point out in the story.

While books you'll understand each and every little detail about the story and get the whole idea of what the story is all about.

By watching movies, you can atleast create the existing characters and settings into your imagination later when you read the books.
ilovebooks2
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ilovebooks2 »

pa3de8 wrote: 28 Dec 2011, 08:28 I have a general rule where I don't read a book of a movie I saw. Just think it's wasted valuable reading time where I could be reading something else. There has been an occasion here and there where I read a book after a movie only because I had already got the book and then saw the movie before I got to read the book. But normally, I try to chose book or movie. Extremely rare I will do both.

Scott B.
I'm with Scott B. I now make the choice between book or movie. When I have done both, I usually prefer the one I experienced first, be it the book or the movie.
swirlofink
Currently Reading: 'Rosie, Bara, Gerry & Tom'
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by swirlofink »

I usually read the book first only because I want to go into the movie knowing how it stays the same but also deviates! However sometimes I don’t know it’s an adaption and if that’s the case if I liked the movie enough I go and read the book!
wendalyn18
Currently Reading:

Post by wendalyn18 »

I would choose movie first.
I love to watch movies than to read books.
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

Definitely book first, watching the movie first usually makes me lazy to read to book after... And destroys the suspense the book creates.
Lovewreading89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovewreading89.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lovewreading89 »

Book first because the movie can leave some or change details out in the book.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I see the movie first
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Yung Senpai
Favorite Book: Lolita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Yung Senpai »

Very relative, some movies surpass the source material. Fight Club is a prime example of that, the book is rustic and unshaped and the movie ends up being way more polished than the book.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I think I would like to watch the movie first, then read the book to see if they did a good job with the movie. Reading the book first would be like a spoiler for me. I would lose all the suspense or surprises in the plot.
Alli Oluwasegun 01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Alli Oluwasegun 01 »

I Will Actually Have To Choose Book First Bt If I Will Be Sincere. I Have Never Read A Book And Wacht It's Film.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I mostly read the book first. That's good for deciding if the movie will be good, but not so much when the cliffhangers won't get to hang you.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
SJSharks
Currently Reading: Unshaken
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by SJSharks »

I usually read the book first. There is often more detail and I can use my own imagination.
chimmy

Post by chimmy »

Book first then movie. Most book e.g fifty shades is way more detailed than the book. Basically book first then the movie or just read the book forget about the movie (viseversa) 😂

Return to “Films and Books”