Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Aixa Miller
Currently Reading: Wicked Designs
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aixa-miller.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Aixa Miller »

For me, it depends on the movie, but most times I would read the book first like I did with Harry Potter and Twilight. :D
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I'd prefer the book first before the movie but to avoid too much disappointment, I think it is better to watch first then read.
chemi0811
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chemi0811 »

I would read the book first because when i watched the outsiders first, then watched the movie it was dissapointing.
spookkyfoxx
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spookkyfoxx.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by spookkyfoxx »

I really wish I could read the book, take that part of my memory out, watch the movie without the memory of the book, then return the memory afterwards so I can compare the two.

But that's not something I can do, so instead, if it's something I think I'm going to read ever, I try to read the book first.

However, I'm starting to get a little lax on that "rule" in my life. For example, it's been 15 years since I read the first 5 Harry Potter books, and I just never got back into them by the time the half blood prince came out a year or two later. I think I only ever watched the first two or three movies though. I kept telling myself that I was going to reread the series before I rewatched the movies, but then my husband turned on the first movie a few nights ago and I didn't complaint and watched it, and since then, I have read the first two books and part of the third. It was a nice kick start to get me motivated to reread them.
VirgoRules2018
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virgorules2018.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by VirgoRules2018 »

Book first and then movie.....for example The godfather....the book ....is quite long with so many parts...but it was so much better. :wink:
The book's details prompts your imagination in a way that extends far beyond the length of any movie.
Patty San Jose
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Patty San Jose »

I prefer reading the book first than watching the movie. But since I don't usually spend alone time and always out of the house, I end up watching the movies then reads the book after.
wynona123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wynona123.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by wynona123 »

For me, it doesn’t make any difference if I read the book first or watch the movie first. I’ve already tried doing these two things... it all comes down to which of them is being relayed better – may it be visually or in words.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Sometimes it helps reading the book first before watching its movie adaptation coz books show the innermost thoughts of the characters in the story so you could understand the characters better.
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

I would definitely read the book first. I have always been disappointed in movie adaptations of books that I have read. Our own imagination is far more interesting in terms of picturing characters, etc
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Usually depends on what i get my hands on first.If book,then book.If movie,then movie.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Movies first? Because if you read first then the movie is ruined for you since books are always better. So, if you want to enjoy the movie I suggest you read the book after.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
brittmcilhenney
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by brittmcilhenney »

Reading is my thing. I love it! So I make a point to read the book first. Why ruin the build up and little clues and details of the ending with watching the 2hr movie. Usually I’ll watch the movie to look for differences and complain about the things they left out or changed. Lol!
selena0698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by selena0698 »

Personally, it depends on the film. If actors is good, I will watch first. But I usually reading first because there are many sences to not film
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Always the book first. I want to create the images of the characters in my own imagination before the job is done for me at the cinema
nancyab
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancyab.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by nancyab »

I'd rather read the book first. If it's good, then I would see the movie. I rarely go to the movies, so it would have to be a really good book. Most of the movies I see these days are on Amazon Prime. Going to the flea markets, DVDs these days are only $2 or $3, and I'll pick up a few there. If there's one I particularly like, then I'll see if it's in book form.

Return to “Films and Books”