Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by gali »

Without any question, I would read the book first! I don't always bother to watch the movie afterward.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
shdelp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shdelp.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by shdelp »

I like reading the book first before seeing the movie. usually the book has more details than the movie and it is easier to
compare.
SamiJade

Post by SamiJade »

I always find myself reading the book first but regretting it later on. I feel that, while I do get excited about the movies coming out, they usually don't portray the story as we'll as the book or they leave out parts that I feel we're important parts. Maybe I should try doing it the other way?
TSherard

Post by TSherard »

I normally read the book first. The movies are rarely if ever as good as the book.
carag4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carag4.html

Post by carag4 »

Book first, every time. If I watch the movie first, it's harder for me to stay interested in the book. This happened to me with Game of Thrones. I watched the television show first and I've spent almost two years trying to finish the first book. I get bored and move on to other books.
ariel

Post by ariel »

• Most certainly the book first. I feel like if I don't read the book first I'm missing out on a lot of background, character and plot development, and all those tiny little details that the movie wouldn't provide. If I like the book enough, then I go out to see the movie!
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Usually the book first. But Ive found in a lot of cases the movie is disappointing after reading the book. I read The Godfather, one of the best books I have ever read. Then I saw the movie, I didnt think it was all that great after reading the book.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I try to always read the book first. I did not do that with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I wish I would have, because now I do not know if I will read the book. The movie did not interest me that much.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Book_Lover_890

Post by Book_Lover_890 »

Always the book first. Then watching the movie helps me to bring some of the images I had in my head to life.
BlanketBookLatte

Post by BlanketBookLatte »

Hello y'all! I always read the book first! I have found that for me the movie is never as good as the book! :D
K-katastrophe3
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: Remembrance by Jude Deveraux
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-katastrophe3.html
Latest Review: "Spellhollow Wood" by Joseph Scotti
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by K-katastrophe3 »

I have always read the book first, then seen the movie. But most of the time I am disappointed. I understand one cannot put the whole book in one film, but when they start omitting important events or information, its just not right. I am thinking maybe I should watch the movie first to enjoy it, then read to book to enjoy the full unomitted story. Not sure if it will happen, but its a thought.
Latest Review: "Spellhollow Wood" by Joseph Scotti
adiagerdel

Post by adiagerdel »

Oh definitely book first. A book is so much detailed and enriching. For me a movie just doesn't let me use my imagination like a book does. A book allows me to go into that world and escape just for a little bit my real world.
prisailurophile
Favorite Author: Ian McEwan
Favorite Book: Matilda by Roald Dahl
Currently Reading: Underground by Murakami
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisailurophile.html
fav_author_id: 2508

Post by prisailurophile »

Book! Hands down! :D
everafter09
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everafter09.html

Post by everafter09 »

Book first.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I often watch the movie first, to be honest. Beforehand though I'd usually read the book first, (when I was more of a novel enthusiast than I am today.. *sigh*) like with Stephen King, Dean Koontz and my other favourite horror authors. The latest movie I watched though was Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey which is my favourite movie of all time, unquestionably. Then I read the book and really, I found that it was garbage. But that's another topic...
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." - Dean Koontz

Return to “Films and Books”