Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Always book first. I would like to experience the story as the lead character myself before I let someone else steal the show :).
alexandriaNS
Currently Reading: A Reaper at the Gates
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandrians.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by alexandriaNS »

I for sure read the book first, just because I don't want the movie to spoil the book's ending. However, sometimes I find myself reading the books because I happened to see the movie!
camwilliams
Currently Reading: Triple Zero
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camwilliams.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by camwilliams »

Totally depends! For certain books like Sense and Sensibility or Little Dorrit, watching the film adaptation first can help me understand what's going on in the book a lot better. Other times I simply get to the book first, like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.
Nini28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nini28 »

Personally, I love movies better. I like to see and hear what's going on. If the movie is good then I will maybe read the book even though movies and books are different.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

For me it's either or and just depends on the situation. A good movie or show can inspire me to read the book or the other way around. Sometimes I'm not even that interested at seeing the movie based off of a book I read. There are cases (like in the case of the 100) where I enjoy the movie/show much more than I enjoy the book.
eliviac35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliviac35.html
Latest Review: Tears & Laughters by Ray R. F.

Post by eliviac35 »

Book first! I like to be able to create my own images of characters and scenes when I am reading. If I watch the movie before the book, I am only able to see the characters as the people who were cast to play them in the movie.
blackpinkpurple
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackpinkpurple.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by blackpinkpurple »

I strongly prefer books over movies. When you read a book you paint your own scenes, you imagine the story with each and every word you read. It is just so much more personal and connected to yourself when you do that. I love taking my time moving from one chapter to another, maybe even taking a break and steeping in all the information just read.

With movies, everything is happening simultaneously and too much information thrown at you too fast. There is nothing left to our own imagination, we just have to process everything that we see. And sometimes some actors are not that emotive and you are left wondering what they are doing or what they are feeling right now. Reading expressions on people is a tough job at times, so I prefer books over movie adaption any day.

:) :)
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I always tend to watch the movie after I've read the book. I know the book will be more detailed and I don't want the plot ruined, while I mainly watch movies to just enjoy, not for the plot.
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

Book first always!
Movies leave out various details and cut off little scenes which play an important role in the story. I am sometimes disappointed because my imagination of the characters and places never match with the movie scenes. Though, I would love to become a director who make movies totally based on the book. I will never leave any details and get customized clothes for the characters as mentioned in the book.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

Book first, then movie. I find that when I watch the movie first, the movie choices like casting and scenery will pop up in my head when I read the book and I won't be able to experience it fully. You do always run the risk of seeing a movie that doesn't live up to your expectations, which has happened to me so many times. But I think the best way is to keep in mind that the movie is made with film-goers in mind and so a lot of details, which may seem important, are left out.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

I prefer to read the book first because there are always small alterations when it is adapted into a movie. Some can capture the essence of the book into a movie but reading the book gives me a better understanding of the story.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

It depends on the reader. Someone pointed that by reading the book first you are able to imagine the world with out any influence as to how the characters sound or look like, but if you see the movie then you'll always picture their adaptation in your head. I could care less, because e I find that forms of storytelling compliant one another depending on how well each was handled.
Godomon
Currently Reading: Change How You See Yourself Today
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godomon.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Godomon »

Books. It is always interesting to see how my perspective of the story differs from the movie director's.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I read the book first because if i watch the movie first i just don"t feel like reading the book after that.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

I read the book first and then watch the movie. Although, I'm not in a rush to watch the movies because usually the books are better.

Return to “Films and Books”