Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by Maud Fitch »

Book first, then maybe movie depending on who's directing (or acting in) it. It is surprising the amount of movie-goers who see a movie and do not know the story is based on a book, giving little thought to the original author. That's where movie tie-ins come in.....
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Thats something I always watch for when I see a movie, if it was based on a book. If I like the movie, I sometimes get the book. The book is usually better.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Christine80
Currently Reading: A Storm Of Swords

Post by Christine80 »

I usually like to read the book first. I'm not much of a tv watcher so there have been times that I didn't even know they made a movie out of a book until I was watching it.
love_aud
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by love_aud »

RuqeeD wrote:
love_aud wrote:Always the book. I'll look up the movie first to get like the character pictures in my head, but always book first :)
That's one thing I try to avoid when it comes to reading books that have movies based on them! I always prefer my own interpretation and image of a character and the actors never match up, just imo.
I do like having my own imagination in things, but sometimes I have the hardest time trying not to put myself as the main character. It's really bad I know but I just can't help it, I have been getting better though.
Love Audrey, future photojournalist/writer :)
JAJACKSON
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: Wind in the Williows
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by JAJACKSON »

Sometimes the book and movie differ for odd reasons. Steven Kings, 'Christine' for example... at the very end there is a glaring difference, In the book the car is empty, in the movie it is being driven, that is until 'Arnie' is thrown through the windscreen. I did enjoy both, just found the change unexpected.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I read Christine, it was one of the best books I have ever read. But I thought the movie was crap. The only thing I liked in it was the music. I probably should have seen the movie first, I might have liked it.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
alex527
Currently Reading: Buddha and His Dhamma

Post by alex527 »

I would prefer movie first. If the movie is really interesting it will be great to read the full original story. Otherwise it will be pointless to read a book with non-interesting and boring story.
Betty Haynes 813

Post by Betty Haynes 813 »

I often try to read the book first. I like forming my own ideas of the characters and what actor/actresses I could playing those roles. There have been times when I have seen movie and I find out that it is based on a book. If I like the movie I will often want to read the book.
Doyag
Favorite Author: sidney sheldon
Favorite Book: A Walk To Remember + Tell Me Your Dreams
fav_author_id: 3713

Post by Doyag »

Book always.
Though there are a lot of cases when I have no idea it was based on a book, so i get to watch the movie first.
and as always, the books are much better.

Except for a few, i think the Twilight movies (or first movie since that's the only one i read) are far better than the books.
Even the Sookie Stackhouse Series of True blood. I found the books a bit ridiculous to read and Sookie was super annoying., but i don't mind her in the show.
Lovelace
Currently Reading: Leaving Lucy Pear
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Lovelace »

Usually movie first for me.
If i watch a film thats good and it's based on a book i will read the book afterwards
I can only think of a few books that i have read first then watched the film after, and the films have been disappointing
marissa_in
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-in.html

Post by marissa_in »

Book
julianfroment

Post by julianfroment »

I prefer to read the book first, although on occasions where I have seen the film first I do find it interesting to see what parts the movie had left out. There is usually a lot more detail and plot in the books. Sometimes though you find that they are completely different, the Bourne series instantly springing to mind here.
sarahas8609
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahas8609.html
Latest Review: "Hawthorne Cottage" by R. L. McCallum

Post by sarahas8609 »

I would definitely read the book first. Usually books have so much more detail to the story then movies do. Reading the book first actually helps to follow the story line of the movie easier sometimes because usually they leave out a lot of sub-plots.
Latest Review: "Hawthorne Cottage" by R. L. McCallum
KimMarie89

Post by KimMarie89 »

I like reading the book before because for most books, a two hour movie cannot capture everything that the books create. Movies have to leave some things out in order to get the major plot points across. Because of this little things can get left out, or in the case of the last Harry Potter movie, entire situations can be changed and you miss the greatness that the author was trying to create. Always book first.
cherokee_rose
Currently Reading: The Bookmaker
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherokee-rose.html

Post by cherokee_rose »

I have approached it both ways. Reading the book gives me expectations for how the movie should be. And if I see the movie first, I wonder what elements of the book were omitted.

I prefer reading the book first and letting my imagination create the characters.

Return to “Films and Books”