Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
LadyPrine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by LadyPrine »

It all depends to me really, I enjoy movies very much. Now if the movie has a book that goes with it and the movie holds my attention, Ill go find the book and read it. But books have to be able to catch my eye from the middle of the book.
Let me explain my methoded of madness to you. When I see a book and it has a nice cover I of course read the reviews on it and then I randomly let the book open to any page. This is when I will read what is in front of me and if I like it from not really knowing what the book is about then I'll buy the book and read from the very beginning.
David66
Currently Reading: Master the Law of Attraction
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by David66 »

I feel if I should read the book, I would lose interest in the movie cause I'll know what's going to happen next in the movie, who is going to die and not going to die , the whole suspense is gone. I'd rather watch the movie and later get an elaborated understanding of the movie through the book
Moonlight91
Currently Reading: Serial K Returns
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moonlight91 »

Hm,... if the books are praised and I have enough time I will always try to read the books first.

If you do it the other way around (watch the movie first and then read the book) so much of your own imagination is lost, in my opinion.

8)
Hallsword
Favorite Book: The 11.05 Murders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hallsword.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Hallsword »

I always read the book first. I find that the book has a deeper storyline than the movie usually does. Most of the time I'm disappointed in the adaptation of the movie to the book but certainly understand the Producers are working within a timeframe versus the author's freedom with the book length. The first movie I watched after reading the book was Stephen King's Misery.
ms07
Currently Reading: You Think It, I'll Say It
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms07.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by ms07 »

Usually I like to read books first then watch the movies. The books tend to blow the movies away. The only movie I ever watched before reading the book was The Notebook. I honestly didn’t like the book as much as the movie and I think it’s because I had seen the movie so many times before reading the book. It was very surprising to me because I love Nicholas Sparks. Dear John was brilliant and the movie did not do it justice.

The Notebook is a classic! Freeform airs it frequently.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

This question hurts my brain. The book always has to be read first, followed by the movie. Although sometimes, reading and seeing both can be problematic as your own imagination is used in the reading of the book, and the director's of the movies always have a different idea of how things should be than you do. Therefore, seeing the movie usually ends in disappointment of epic proportions. (Example: American Assassin, for those of you who've read the book and seen the movie. HUGE disappointment.)
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I try to read a book first before seeing a movie. Lately, I'm starting to think the movies are not worth seeing at all. Or if I do see a movie before reading the book, I almost don't want to read the book after because all movies are just so horrible in comparison and then I can't get those images out of my head while reading.
Hellonurse815
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hellonurse815.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by Hellonurse815 »

I like to watch the movie first. It's almost like a teaser or trailer to the real story. The downside to this, the actors linked out to play the parts stick in my imagination while reading. I can't put the true image the author wanted over it.
lindsaysherlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsaysherlock.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by lindsaysherlock »

I honestly like the Maze Runner movie better than the book. The book was boring to me, but the movie was exciting and interesting. I also really like the Hunger Games movies.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Before I watch any movie I check to see if it was adapted from a book. I'll always try to read the book first because it gives the movie a whole other feel.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
mariacarolinea
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariacarolinea.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mariacarolinea »

I prefer to read the book first, as it is more detailed, but then it's harder to like the movie exactly at it is. You'll always think about that scene they didn't include or that one character they didn't make justice, etc.
NSehra
Currently Reading: Cinderella and Colonel
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by NSehra »

Book first always. Even if the movie is out and a huge hit I would read before watching it. Reading gives details, it feeds your imaginations such that you create your own world. It makes you feel every emotion and you understand the characters better, and all this then helps when you watch the movie. You understand exactly why the character is behaving the way he is, in greater depth.
The only downside is sometimes you like what you imagined better than the
movie itself 😂
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Most of the time I would say book first, but sometimes I don't have a choice because the book is always checked out if the film is being released soon. And if I do see the movie first, the book is a better bonus with deleted scenes.
isismcdermott

Post by isismcdermott »

I feel like it’s always better to read the book first. I don’t know if it’s just me but I love to scrutinize the differences while watching the movie after reading the book and point out the flaws.
Coolton
Currently Reading:

Post by Coolton »

I will watch the movie first. I find if I read the book prior to watching the film it destroys my ability to enjoy the movie fully. It’s a huge distraction. I find myself through the entire film going, no that didn’t happen in the book . It becomes a battle for me to just enjoy the movie and to forgot the book while watching it. So it’s always film first and then book to fill in any missing plot points.

Return to “Films and Books”