Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
peroodypet123
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by peroodypet123 »

It is good to read the book first because the will have created a picture for you and you will be eager to watch the movie.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

For me it's always book first. But than I am mostly horrendously disappointed by the movie. But I don't have the slightest intention to change that order.
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

Well, I would definitely read the book first, since if I watch the movie first, I get bored of the book easily. However watching a movie first helps with visual imagery of the book.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Shercelle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shercelle »

I would watch the movie first. The book is almost always better than the movie so i won't be disappointed when i read the book.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Generally, for me, I usually end up reading the book before I see the movie. However, I could definitely advocate for watching the movie first in a large number of instances and my main reason for reading the book prior is usually because I'm impatient and excited about the premise enough so that I can't wait for the movie to come out. But I think, ultimately, there is a sort of usefulness to seeing the movie first because 90% of the time, the book is better.

So, in this sort of process, it's worth it to watch the movie simply to enjoy the movie for what it is. I've noticed often times that if I read the book first, my chances of being disappointed with the movie increase quite a lot whereas if I watch the movie first I'm usually quite pleased with both (unless they're both terrible at which point I avoid them both forever). And I dunno, I think I'd rather enjoy both, remember enjoying the movie for what it was, and experience enjoying the book for being better rather than loving the book and seeing the movie after only to hate it for all the things it didin't include.
aliceriddle
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceriddle.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by aliceriddle »

Book first, since if I watch the movie first, I won't be interested in the book that much. However, there have also been cases when a movie made me want to read the book.
dancinladybugs
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinladybugs.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by dancinladybugs »

I like to read the book first. I hate having the plot given away of a book I am reading. But I don't mind as much for a movie. IDK maybe that is weird! haha
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

I would always read the book. Apart from the Harry Potter series, I did not find many books that were well made into films. Maybe due to lack of running time or, it could simply be a clash of imagination, I hardly enjoyed books that were made into films.
Syaakiirroh
Currently Reading: The Diary of a snoopy cat
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syaakiirroh.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Syaakiirroh »

Hmmm.. if I have time to read the book first, then I will go with the book then movie.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Personally, I'm always late in catching movies while they're still new, and even later when it comes to reading the books! So, I naturally end up watching the movie first (probably because my family members are real movie enthusiasts and we're always having movie nights... of movies that are already long out of theaters, of course.

I think I would probably enjoy reading the books first, though, because once I watch the movie, I typically forget about reading the book altogether, even when I'm so interested in how it's written! (Exception: Harry Potter series. It didn't matter in what order I caught up with the series, I did both haha) Anyways, I think I'll have to change my habit soon.
Nebula2
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Nebula2 »

The book first. Always. Most of the time, movies dissapoint me because they fail to grasp the full essence of the story, or change too many things. That happened with P.S. I love you, The Maze Runner or In the Heart of the Sea. When I see a movie based on a book I want to live the same feelings and experiences that I read.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I personally don't have a preference if I read or watch a movie first. Sometimes I already own the book and am anticipating the movie. Other times I see the movie and want to compare them or I want details and answers, maybe the book will fill in the gaps.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Nebula2 wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 04:41 The book first. Always. Most of the time, movies dissapoint me because they fail to grasp the full essence of the story, or change too many things. That happened with P.S. I love you, The Maze Runner or In the Heart of the Sea. When I see a movie based on a book I want to live the same feelings and experiences that I read.
I actually enjoyed that PS I Love You was reworked to be a separate entity when its movie adaptation was made. I enjoyed both outcomes and I appreciate the difference.

At the same time, I totally understand wanting to feel the same way you did while reading.
GerganaIvanova_7
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by GerganaIvanova_7 »

I always read the book first, except in the situations where I find out that there is a book at the end of the movie... :oops2:
ebriana1112
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ebriana1112 »

It's book first. I want to see if my imagination during my reading process matched the movie. Sounds fair right?

Return to “Films and Books”