Grishaverse Netflix Adaptation

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Grishaverse Netflix Adaptation

Post by Letora »

So, I have heard that Netflix picked up Leigh Bardugo's Duology and Trilogy in the Grishaverse. These two series absolutely floored me with the creativity and complexity of characters. Now, I know I can't expect the adaptations for screen to be word for word, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they do not try to mesh the two series together in one show like articles are claiming. For one thing, the timelines!!!! Shadow and Bone is years before Six of Crows. What are others thoughts on this? I'm having Deathnote flashbacks and the ruination of it.
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by S Mishra »

I am excited and nervous for the Six of Crows adaptation too! From what I have heard though, the crew seems to be good enough and Leigh Bardugo has said herself that she will make sure all characters are properly represented and casted.

And yes, the timeline sounds very confusing. Apparantely both the stories are happening simultaneously? One thing good about that is that we can get to know more about the Crows from before the Six Of Crows- perhaps how Inej meets and recruits Nina? How Jesper and Kaz become friends?

Still, it would have been better for both the series to get their separate shows as they deserve...
Letora

Post by Letora »

S Mishra wrote: 29 May 2019, 08:22 I am excited and nervous for the Six of Crows adaptation too! From what I have heard though, the crew seems to be good enough and Leigh Bardugo has said herself that she will make sure all characters are properly represented and casted.

And yes, the timeline sounds very confusing. Apparantely both the stories are happening simultaneously? One thing good about that is that we can get to know more about the Crows from before the Six Of Crows- perhaps how Inej meets and recruits Nina? How Jesper and Kaz become friends?

Still, it would have been better for both the series to get their separate shows as they deserve...
That would be awesome if we get to learn more about the Crows! I'm glad Bardugo is making sure to oversee the casting and creation. So many authors give away the creative rights and the shows go down hill.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
S Mishra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mishra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by S Mishra »

Letora wrote: 31 May 2019, 06:21

That would be awesome if we get to learn more about the Crows! I'm glad Bardugo is making sure to oversee the casting and creation. So many authors give away the creative rights and the shows go down hill.

I'm glad for it too but I recently read an article that said that it's going to be 8 episodes long and that has sort of dampened my excitement . How are they going to fit so many characters, backstories and the complicated plot of TWO books in just that much??
I hope that it at least gets more seasons...
"If anyone needs me, I’ll be reading.... Please don’t need me."
Letora

Post by Letora »

S Mishra wrote: 31 May 2019, 08:18
I'm glad for it too but I recently read an article that said that it's going to be 8 episodes long and that has sort of dampened my excitement . How are they going to fit so many characters, backstories and the complicated plot of TWO books in just that much??
I hope that it at least gets more seasons...
Maybe they are cutting it short to see how the fans react? Grishaverse has a huge fan base, so they may want to be cautious at first. I know Shadowhunters was a trainwreck and got just about everything wrong from Mortal Instruments and was canceled. I agree it does raise the question of how are they going to fit it all together? There are so many different characters between the two stories. If they do a good enough job, I would hope it gets more seasons.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
starkpages
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starkpages.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by starkpages »

All I'm thinking is I hope they don't ruin it. They better get the casting right! I've seen a lot of good books get ruined by being adapted into films/shows. :(
Letora

Post by Letora »

starkpages wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 03:15 All I'm thinking is I hope they don't ruin it. They better get the casting right! I've seen a lot of good books get ruined by being adapted into films/shows. :(
I know! The characters are so unique! Casting is going to be huge! Who do you think would make a good Nikolai or Kaz? I honestly don't know who I would pick.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I'm very interested to see how this plays out. Leigh Bardugo seems very involved with production and reports that she is happy with the progress being made...so I'm hopeful!
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I am extremely excited about this! Apparently, each season will be 8 episodes long, and they will somehow tie the Six of Crows story in with the Shadow and Bone series, which makes me very nervous. To be completely honest, I would much rather have just Six of Crows than Shadow and Bone and Six of Crows.
~Roxie~
Letora

Post by Letora »

RoxieReads wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 14:30 I am extremely excited about this! Apparently, each season will be 8 episodes long, and they will somehow tie the Six of Crows story in with the Shadow and Bone series, which makes me very nervous. To be completely honest, I would much rather have just Six of Crows than Shadow and Bone and Six of Crows.
I wish they were separated too. A huge cast of characters and Six of Crows I thought took place after the original trilogy in the timeline. I'm nervous and excited!
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

Some of the casting has been announced (Ben Barnes as the Darking!) and I cannot wait--I think it's interesting to have simultaneous timelines, because there's so much opportunity to learn more about the characters from scenes not necessarily in the book.
Megapede
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megapede.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Megapede »

I can't wait for the show to start, I loved the books so the series if done properly should be an epic view.
Letora

Post by Letora »

sevencrows wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 22:42 Some of the casting has been announced (Ben Barnes as the Darking!) and I cannot wait--I think it's interesting to have simultaneous timelines, because there's so much opportunity to learn more about the characters from scenes not necessarily in the book.
I agree with most of the casting :) it makes me look forward to it more!
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

I'm really excited about this adaptation! I discovered the Grishaverse a few months ago and I loved it (I read the five books in less than two weeks). I really like the cast so far. Ben Barnes as the Darkling is such a great choice, I love him! Alina is perfect! And Kaz, Inej and Jesper already have my heart. What I like most about these choices is that they all seem to love and understand their characters very much, which means they'll do them justice and play them in a way the fans will love. Also Leigh is very involved, so I think that will help the show remain true to the books!
I was also confused about the simultaneous timelines, but if it means we're getting more content with the Crows then I'm in. I want to see Kaz and Jesper be buddies, Inej meeting Kaz, more Jesper/Inej friendship scenes. There are so many possibilties! I'm a little sad we won't have Wylan in the first season but I hope the show does well and we get a second one with him in it (I know, I know. The show isn't even out yet and I'm already thinking about a season 2 but what can I say? I'm very excited!)
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
Vumana16
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vumana16.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Vumana16 »

I'm excited as well. :dance: I have no idea how they'll manage to fit so much story in just 8 episodes but I hope its good. All I ask is for it to have a second season so that we can see who they would pick to play the amazing Nikolai. :wink:
“Even if you’ve always been that

Barely-in-the-background kind of guy

You still matter.”
Dear Evan Hansen
Val Emmich

Return to “Films and Books”