Bird Box

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
lablabpadilla0920
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Bird Box

Post by lablabpadilla0920 »

Bird Box is a movie that was just released this December 2018. What/where do you think those creatures or phenomenon came from? Why does it affect the psychological condition of a human?
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I actually didn't even realize this was a book before I watched it on Netflix. I originally thought they took the ideas behind A Quiet Place and instead, switched the sense to sight instead of hearing. If you haven't seen A Quiet Place I highly recommend it! As far as the phenomenon of where the creatures came from...I attributed it to something similar to Stephen King's Mist, an experiment gone wrong. I did notice that those with mental illness were not affected the same way, they wanted to join the creatures instead of committing suicide. My assumption, is that people who have experienced the deep sadness of depression, the panic of anxiety and other similar mental disorders have an immunity of sorts to the sudden panic these creatures induce. Those who don't know what it's like to constantly battle their own mind are overwhelmed by it and commit suicide.
BonneauLee

Post by BonneauLee »

Saw the movie. Not believable.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I am always drawn toward movies about possible apocalyptic events. Having seen both Quiet Place and Bird Box, I actually like Bird Box slightly better, if only because the audience is treated to before, during, and post the end of the world as you know it.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

This was such an interesting movie. It seemed like the origins of the creatures was never addressed though. Viewers aren't told much about them other than the fact that you can't looked at them if you are sane and those who are insane think they are beautiful. I can't help but to wonder if they were physical creatures at all.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I wonder if the book goes into detail of the origin and they didn't have screen time to cover it?
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I quite enjoyed the Birdbox film and the theory that the monster was linked to mental illness. If that is the case it was a great metaphorical masterpiece that was achieved through this exiting thriller with one of my favourite actors, Sandra Bullock.
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I got a movie referral of bird box from a friend early this year but I haven't watched it yet. Thanks, for reminding me to watch it
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Josh Malerman did an interview at Midwest Literary Walk 2015 where he revealed that the 'creatures'-- and the psychological effects they caused-- were based off the idea of 'infinity'. The interview where he explains the conception of his idea can be found on YouTube, if you want to check it out.

H. P. Lovecraft also had a similar premise in The Call of Cthulhu.

In a way, it reminds me of the saying by Friedrich Nietzsche: "Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you."

Bird Box is my favourite horror novel, and I've watched enough of the trailer to know I'm better off leaving it at that.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

I'm not really sure what I think the big bad was in this movie. I watched it because a friend said they really enjoyed it, but I found the movie to be extremely boring and nonsensical; and not in a good way. I just couldn't get into the full idea on the movie and how the characters were handling their situation.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
annamae01

Post by annamae01 »

Birdbox is not the best horror movie but maybe one of the best horror movie. It left some questions to the watchers minds like what are the creatures that makes the people go crazy and kill themselves and other people. Maybe its kind of mental illness. And until now it left me hanging and confused. Kudos to the directors and also to the actors. They’re great.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

the origin of the creature could have been better explained in the movie, because it just led to people drawing their own conclusions. I though it was like a hypnosis thing where the sight of these creatures just led to the worst nightmares in every person's head and immediate suicide.
JenJen13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by JenJen13 »

Chikari wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 21:40 I'm not really sure what I think the big bad was in this movie. I watched it because a friend said they really enjoyed it, but I found the movie to be extremely boring and nonsensical; and not in a good way. I just couldn't get into the full idea on the movie and how the characters were handling their situation.

I completely agree with you. The film did have a very slow pace and I too had found it boring at times.The actions the characters do in the flim do not making any sense whatsoever. The mere fact that they could not see and were able to perform so many of these tasks without getting hurt or killing themselves is way beyond me. Then not knowing the origins of the creatures or why they even affect the humans the way they do is not answered.
Kimii200123
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Kimii200123 »

I watched the movie and found it intriguing. But I was a bit disappointed at the fact that they wouldn't show what these creatures are or why they are here. I thought maybe they were a loved person that someone lost, because the sister of the protagonist seemed to have seen her mom before she died. I don't think that is the case though after seeing the drawing that one crazy guy drew. They reminded me somehow of creatures H.P. Lovecraft would draw. I'm still speculating about what those creatures could have been.
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it.”
—Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
cnh212
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnh212.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by cnh212 »

I only watched Bird Box because of so many people talking about it and all the memes popping up online. My husband informed me it's a book and the ending is different. I thought it was going to be scary ( I am a big chicken and don't do scary movies). But, I found myself criticizing it right after she left the hospital from her ultrasound (when the vehicle wrecked and she still didn't go into labor). It was pretty predictable. I have no idea how she managed to keep those kids a live all those years! Like hello, we all know kids. All in all, I thought it was ok. It had A LOT of potential, but there's just to many questions to be answered.

Return to “Films and Books”