Bad books, good movies

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Bad books, good movies

Post by Bighuey »

ferretbait wrote:Phantom of the Opera, with Gerard Butler as the Phantom. The Movie and the Opera (play/musical?) was better than the book by far. But then again I cannot and refuse to read a book after seeing the movie because when I see the movie the scene is already created for me and for some reason I can't seem to override it at that point and if the book doesn't follow the movie, which they almost NEVER are the same, then I get discouraged and keep thinking this is not what happened in the movie. So I read then watch. If I haven't read then I don't watch until I do.
I read the Phantom years ago and I thought it was quite good. Ive never seen the musical version but I liked the music. Ive seen the Lon Chaney and Claude Raines versions, they were ok but not as good as the book.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
ferretbait
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ferretbait »

I've been in New York and seen it and I've also seen the movie but when I tried to the book it just couldn't grab me. Maybe because of the lack of music, I don't know, but I do know I didn't like it at all.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

That happens sometimes, only its usually the other way around. I read The Godfather than saw the movie and I was really disappointed with it. Not near as good as the book. I should have seen the movie first. Altho I saw Ben-Hur and it was a fantastic movie and I thought the book would be as good or better but it wasnt. The movie was about 40 times better. Lew Wallace should have spent more time dealing with Billy the Kid, he was governer of New Mexico Territory at the time he wrote it, than writing a over long, boring book.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Robin jackson

Post by Robin jackson »

I think harry potter movie is better than book..................
anu_
Currently Reading: Idiot by Fyodor

Post by anu_ »

I think, The Godfather movie series was much better than the book. Dont' get me wrong, I am not saying that the book is bad, but I simply did not like the footage Johnny Fontane and Sonny's girlfriend and her doctor friend enjoyed in the novel. Mario Puzo made a wise decision to limit these characters, while making movies. Just hoped, he would have done the same in the book as well. It would have made the book easier to digest and be even more striking.
"Children were playing when Holston climbed to his death" Wool by Hug Howey
DaoJones
Favorite Author: All of them
Favorite Book: Every book I ever read
Currently Reading: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Post by DaoJones »

This doesn't happen often for me but the only two I can think of are:
The Lovely Bones, liked the book but liked the movie more. But it was a silly story either way.
LA Confidential. The movie bears little resemblance to the book and it's probably a good thing. The characters in the book are so corrupt and terrible it was depressing.
Best regards, Rick
My worst day reading a book is better than my best day doing anything else.
Freethinker

Post by Freethinker »

I love the movie 'The English Patient' but the book was a load of pretentious twaddle! I struggled to finish the book but just about managed it. I generally enjoy the book more than the film so was surprised in this case.
lamitbore

Post by lamitbore »

I think most of the people want to read book on behalf of to see the movie. Thats why a book is far better than a movie.
A_dinky_camel

Post by A_dinky_camel »

The Lord of The Rings!
Butterbescotch

Post by Butterbescotch »

@StoneGolem

Hmmm. What part exactly did the last two Harry Potter films was way better than the last two Harry Potter books? No, offense intended. Just wanted to know since we have opposing views.

The film Half-Blood Prince was a crap, more or like the film adaptation of New Moon. <_<
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

One I can think of is The Three Musketeers. The book was ok, but I liked the movie better. Not all the remakes, they were kind of lame, but the original 1948 version with Gene Kelly and June Allison. It was some awesome movie, especially Gene Kelly's performance.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The Martian wasn't a bad novel but a certain silliness gave me a negative impression. In my opinion, the movie takes a better advantage of his dramatic adventure.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death&nbsp;
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

I like movies from Tom Clancy novels better than the novels themselves. There are so many threads in each of his books. I get involved in one storyline then when it switches to another, I can't always keep straight who the characters being reintroduced are. LOL

The old Jane Seymour movie, The Scarlet Pimpernel, wasn't better than the book, but it was as good as the book.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Another one was The Car. The book was written from the screenplay of the movie. The movie was great except for the first half, too much time was dealt with overlong boring character development but the second half really gets intense. I started reading the book in bed around 10 PM and couldnt put it down until I finished it around 1 AM it was that good from start to finish.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I didn't like To all the boys I've Loved before as a book but I loved the movie a lot.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.

Return to “Films and Books”