The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: Book or Movie?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Daniya-Shah57
Currently Reading: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Bookshelf Size: 4

Icon The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: Book or Movie?

Post by Daniya-Shah57 »

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: Book or Movie?

Even though, I really enjoyed watching the movie. Michael Huisman and Lily James were charming as ever. But I liked the book better.

What are thoughts if you have read the book or watched the movie?
Last edited by Gravy on 11 Sep 2018, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added title
B 52
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by B 52 »

:D Absolutely adored the movie! Have not yet read the book. Anyone who loves words in all their forms will love this story. The comaraderie of the people forced to submit to Nazi tyranny, but brought together for "fellowship" and bathtub gin, to read and enjoy the classics, was contagious and beautiful. It even does a nice peripidy of a love story. And is replete with all our favorite Dowton Abbey fans! Huzzah times three!
MaryPowers88
Favorite Book: The Storyteller's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marypowers88.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MaryPowers88 »

I read the book prior to watching the movie and loved both! I just watched the movie for the second time yesterday. I loved the characters and I'm thinking Isola is one of my favorites, Katherine Parkinson was perfect in the role.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Thanks for bringing up the subject. I read this book back in 2012 as recommended by one of our OBC members, but I had no idea that a movie had been made. I will certainly look forward to seeing it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

DATo wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 11:24 Thanks for bringing up the subject. I read this book back in 2012 as recommended by one of our OBC members, but I had no idea that a movie had been made. I will certainly look forward to seeing it.
Me too! I just found out from this thread! I absolutely loved the book, so I can't wait to watch the movie! :D
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
Elliebeeee

Post by Elliebeeee »

I absolutely loved the movie version of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I also loved the book. For me, the actors and actresses were able to portray the characters of the book beautifully.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

I haven't seen the film, but I adored the book. It's one of my favourites and I've read it more than once. When I enjoy a book that much, I'm always a bit scared to watch the film in case the book gets spoiled for me.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
Dlscalia

Post by Dlscalia »

I love this book so much that i gave one away to someone who I knew would love it and bought another one. At first i wasnt sure Id like a book with letter correspondence but it was a wonderful way to learn a story and its characters. 8) I have yet to see the movie but tk me books come first.
Asunta
Currently Reading: My Father Drank My Lover and Other Short Stories
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunta.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Asunta »

I liked the movie. The cast did a terrific job but it just doesn't compare to the book. I hadn't been able to recover from the trance the book had induced and even started penpalling just so I could write real letters to real people and be written back to. That part of the charm failed to come through in the movie.
My faults and mistakes are what I am, making up the brightest stars in the constellation of my life
- RM :tiphat:

Return to “Films and Books”