Which movie ruined a good book?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Which movie ruined a good book?

Post by HeatherEi »

mariana90 wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 13:04 It has got to be The Hobbit for me. It's such a great fun adventure book, but the movie's tone didn't capture it at all. They went for an epic tone, which fits TLOTR, but not The Hobbit. I hope I never see those things again.
I completely agree.
Halima Lawan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ummiii.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Halima Lawan »

It is Percy Jackson and the Olympians for me. The two movies based on the two first books was just terrible especially the second one, some characters that weren’t in the book were introduced and the storyline was so different from the book. The same goes for the mortal instruments too. The movie deviated from the book.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

Chronicles of Narnia,Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I felt like the movie left out some key elements from the book that was about faith and character growth that I wish they would have included.
Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

Eragon the movie was such a sad reflection of Eragon the book. The scenes just felt really flat and didn't do the books any justice. I think Fifty Shades of Grey deserves to be in this lot too.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

The Hobbit. Never needed a trilogy. Those movies added so much fluff to fill time. Whereas the Lotr films for the most part made changes that made sense for the film.
Megapede
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megapede.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Megapede »

Eragon and Percy Jackson both did not live up to the idea I believe the author's intended to express.
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

Fifty shades for me. The books were fine, and I thought the films would be better than what they were. Anastasia and Christians characters in the films were flat and nothing like the books. Also the suspense with Hyde was lacking in the films. Could have been so much better.
Geist39
Favorite Book: The Soul Thief
Currently Reading: Spells & Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geist39.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Geist39 »

The Fault in Our stars. The ending of the book and the movie are different.
***I don't read books to get smart I read to escape reality**●~●***
ITViking
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ITViking »

Starship Troopers. Heinlein's classic sci-fi story drained of all meaning, and butchered beyond recognition into a satire by Paul Verhoeven.
andiley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by andiley »

John Green's the fault in our stars. The movie is the total opposite of the book😭💔
Elwyn23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elwyn23.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Elwyn23 »

The Percy Jackson films, I had grown up reading those books and Riordan did such a great job creating the setting and making you want to live in that world, but the movies were so bleh (great academic analysis I know), they just sucked out the wonder and replaced it with generic teen-flick cinema tropes that was tired even back then
AnnaLibri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalibri.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by AnnaLibri »

I'm gonna go old school on this one and say Rebecca, the 1940 movie based on the Daphne du Maurier novel. It's not a bad movie, but because of Hollywood's morality code at that time, a MAJOR change was made to the story for the movie, and it's just not nearly as powerful as the book because of that. The book would've been better anyway, even without the story change, but the change they made has always annoyed me.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
btkeaton
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by btkeaton »

ITViking wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:15 Starship Troopers. Heinlein's classic sci-fi story drained of all meaning, and butchered beyond recognition into a satire by Paul Verhoeven.
Agreed.

Also, The Hobbit. I really wish del Toro had stayed on and kept it as two parts rather than it becoming the sprawling 3-parter by Sir Peter.
habsfan212
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-habsfan212.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by habsfan212 »

Like someone said before, Eragon is clearly the one for me. It’s terrible! I watched the movie before reading the books with a friend who had read them. He was crushed by that adaption. He had to force me to read them afterwards. Needless to say I don’t regret it, it’s great fantasy!
sevillagirl18
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevillagirl18.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by sevillagirl18 »

I was so disappointed by the If I Stay based on the novel by Gayle Forman. I LOVED those books when I read them and tried so hard to like the movie, but it really just couldn't live up to the book.

Return to “Films and Books”